learning composition

Karolaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are your strategies when creating compositions to capture the viewer's attention and express your intended message in fine art photography?

I would start by learning the basics of compositions such as:

Rule of Thirds
Leading Lines
Framing
Balancing Elements
Patterns & Symmetry

Are all good things to learn first, there are many more but those were the 5 that I learned in school and I'm not perfect at it. Practice makes better. But I would study those first and then you can utilize them to express your message. I been doing photography since 2010 and I'm still learning and practicing.

Also don't think of them as rules because rules are meant to be broken and that's where your style comes into play. But most importantly, don't try to overthink it, just have fun with it. I'd recommend picking up some photography books, and maybe study some photo books from artists in fine art.

Hope this helps :)

As far as messaging, unless you're doing street or photojournalism, there's often little message in a picture. It may only have aesthetic value. Good lighting always helps. Don't complicate the picture with too many things. Simple is better. Get to the point.

I would start by learning the basics of compositions such as:

Rule of Thirds
Leading Lines
Framing
Balancing Elements
Patterns & Symmetry

Are all good things to learn first, there are many more but those were the 5 that I learned in school and I'm not perfect at it. Practice makes better. But I would study those first and then you can utilize them to express your message. I been doing photography since 2010 and I'm still learning and practicing.

Also don't think of them as rules because rules are meant to be broken and that's where your style comes into play. But most importantly, don't try to overthink it, just have fun with it. I'd recommend picking up some photography books, and maybe study some photo books from artists in fine art.

Hope this helps :)
Thank you very much for your answer. I will definitely try to practice :)

As far as messaging, unless you're doing street or photojournalism, there's often little message in a picture. It may only have aesthetic value. Good lighting always helps. Don't complicate the picture with too many things. Simple is better. Get to the point.
Thank you for advice :)

Personally, I take photos that are interesting to me. If others like them, good, if not, ... I look for lines, shape, form, texture, color and search for a composition that tells a story with light that can set a mood.

A book that helped me along my photography path is "Mastering Composition, The Definitive Guide for Photographers" by Richard Garvey-Williams. The book starts with theories on visual perception then moves on to composition principles and rules then what makes good photos like Design, Color and Texture. Chapter 6 is titled "Photography as Art". I think you'll find it helpful. Another thing to consider is studying the masters, both paintings and photography. One of the best Youtube channels that focuses on photography as art is ThePhotographicEye with Alex Kilbee. Too many channels are equipment reviews, Kilbee introduces the works of many famous photographers with important topics that helped him becomes a professional photographer. His channel has made me a better photographer.

Personally, I take photos that are interesting to me. If others like them, good, if not, ... I look for lines, shape, form, texture, color and search for a composition that tells a story with light that can set a mood.

A book that helped me along my photography path is "Mastering Composition, The Definitive Guide for Photographers" by Richard Garvey-Williams. The book starts with theories on visual perception then moves on to composition principles and rules then what makes good photos like Design, Color and Texture. Chapter 6 is titled "Photography as Art". I think you'll find it helpful. Another thing to consider is studying the masters, both paintings and photography. One of the best Youtube channels that focuses on photography as art is ThePhotographicEye with Alex Kilbee. Too many channels are equipment reviews, Kilbee introduces the works of many famous photographers with important topics that helped him becomes a professional photographer. His channel has made me a better photographer.
Thank you for your help :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back