Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.alipearsonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to learn lighting....
C&C welcomed...

3 light set up... was taking pic of my daughter when the dog wondered in, so I just dropped the lights... More set up and thought would have been better,
but at least he poses for cookies!

indy.jpg

So you have an umbrella right, slightly above eye level, you have an on-camera bare flash for catchlight, and another umbrella left, above head height and slightly behind?

I love how the softness of the light multiplies with the softness of the fur on the ear and shoulder and the shallow depth of field to create super-soft ooey-gooey doggy goodness. Some day I will regret typing that. I also really like the crescent shaped catchlight in the bright eye. I think that really adds quality to the image.

I would like to see more of the umbrella light in the shadowed eye because other than the catch light, it's almost a black hole, and kind of disturbing the more I look at it.

Good work.

Nothing on camera....
Umbrella at 45 camera right
Strip box camera right and above him angled camera right
Shoot through umbrella camera left.
I had a fourth flash behind him on the floor but he looked like he was glowing so I took it out.....

So the umbrella is causing the catchlight in the near eye? It just looks small for an umbrella at 50mm cropped. Nice setup though. Mabye I'll have to pick me up a strip box. :)

It dosn't look like you used 3 lights and nowhere near enough DOF for me
I understand what you are saying re: DOF but what do you mean by it does not look like I used three lights and how should I improve that?
No need to improve the lighting. He just means you can't tell what the 3 lights are doing. To me it looks like 1 light and 1 reflector.

It dosn't look like you used 3 lights and nowhere near enough DOF for me

I understand what you are saying re: DOF but what do you mean by it does not look like I used three lights and how should I improve that?

To me it looks like there is light from above and camera right but no light camera left, your best to start with 1 light get that right then add another, if you use 3 lights at once it is hard to tell where you are going wrong
This is 1 of mine with 2 lights and a reflector
1221198821_HR3ae-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back