left side of photos out of focus when aperature is open

serfurj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have a sony mavica digital camera (mvc-cd500) and whenever i take photos with an f-stop setting around the lower end (2.2), the left side of the image is out of focus.

is this something that can be repaired? if so, please explain in detail what's going on so i can take it to a shop. thanks.

Thats quite simply a depth of field issue. When you use the larger aperatures (smaller number) the depth of field gets progressively smaller, as the right side is closer to the camera it is in focus and the farther left side is not. Try using a smaller aperature (larger number) and a longer shutter speed.

Thats quite simply a depth of field issue. When you use the larger aperatures (smaller number) the depth of field gets progressively smaller, as the right side is closer to the camera it is in focus and the farther left side is not. Try using a smaller aperature (larger number) and a longer shutter speed.

spike5003 said:
...as the right side is closer to the camera it is in focus and the farther left side is not.
but the right side isn't closer to the camera.
serfurj said:
the objects on the left side that are out of focus are the same distance as the objects on the right site that are in focus.

this is a reproduceable problem and it's always the left side that's out of focus.

That is odd. It does not look like a DOF issue at all. The building on the far right side of the photo is much farther away than the out of focus parts on the left.

Is it possible that your lens is dirty? Or maybe the sensor inside the camera?

I would try to contact Sony customer service. Maybe set up a more definitive test shot if you can.

thanks for the suggestions. the lens is perfectly clean. i'm guessing the ccd chip or lens is slightly out of line.

i called sony customer service. after spending half an hour trying to convince them that i know how to use my camera, they decided i need to send it in. i'm nervous.. the problem seems tedious, and service technicians aren't usually very careful (in my experience).

It looks like in may be a lens imperfection. Maybe the glass is defective.

The reason I say this is if you look at the picture, it looks like there is a circle of out of focus-ness....

22_p466.jpeg

hmm, guess i jumped to conclusions. On a second look I would have to agree that this is a camera problem not a you problem. I would complain until they send you a new camera :lol:

Most reactions

Back