What's new

Lens Dilemma: Should I trade my 24-70 2.8 L for a 17-55 2.8 ?

K8-90

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
937
Reaction score
16
Location
CANADA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hopefully I am not repeating things here...

Earlier this year, I purchased the wonderful Canon 24-70mm 2.8L lens. As my first high quality glass, it is amazing. However, it was a tough choice for me choosing between that and the Canon 17-55 2.8 lens. In the end, I decided if I was going to spend that much, it had to be L quality.

However, I am now finding that the focal range is a little awkward. I use it for indoor events, and I find I am missing the wide angle (I use it on crop frame cameras, like the 7D). So now I am considering trading it for the 17-55 2.8. But I am worried about the quality and whether I'll end up missing the zoom reach.

Any input?
 
I suspect you may know what focal range will serve you best.

When I find I need to drop below my 24-70 Nikon I pop on a Tokina 11-16 f2.8, and for a 3rd party inexpensive budget lens it works incredibly well indoors.
 
well effectively you're thinking of changing a 38 - 112 for a 27 - 88. I wouldn't put too much store on the L designation - some of the EF-S lenses are just as good, just without the L. What I would say tho is if you plan to go full frame in the future bear in mind EF-S lenses won't work on FF bodies.
 
That 17-55 has a great reputation. From what I've seen, it performs as well as the 24-70. The build quality is the standard middle of the road Canon (like the 85 1.8), which is to say really just fine, unless you need weather sealing. Whether or not you'll miss the reach only you can decide, but I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed by the image quality.
 
Argh. So hard to make a decision. I wish there was a 10-300mm 1.8 lens. Then It would be easy :P

I think I have to rent it and try it out. The problem is that I don't have a set subject type - I do a little of everything. So on some occasions, I need the wide angle, and others I need more telephoto. Thanks for your input, guys and gals. Keep it coming if you have more to add...
 
I'd keep the 24-70 because it's one of Canon's most popular zooms, and you will be able to use it if/when you make the move to full-frame.


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
In regards to the ever-burning "L" debate... It's my understanding that many of the EF-S lenses use the same quality materials, but they won't ever get an "L" designation simply because they will not cover a full-frame sensor. So, as others have mentioned, unless you plan on going to a full-frame, then I think you can be confident of the build quality/performance of the top end EF-S line. I haven't tried one yet, mainly for the same reasons you've pointed out... but once I upgrade to the 7D, I've been seriously considering including the 17-55 in the purchase. Also, if you do ever upgrade in the future, the EF-S lenses have proven to hold their value just as well as the "L" series, so selling it won't be an issue.
 
I have the 17-55 and it is a fine, fine lens. I use it with a 17-20 Sigma. Once I go to a FF, as mentioned, I will be unable to use this lens and will be needing another for that camera. Will be keeping and using the 7D though, so I'd say keep what you have and get a wide angle zoom to fill in the gaps.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom