lens for D200

basketballmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a D200 and absolutely love it, but am still using the lenses from my old Nikon film camera. The one I use most for sports shots (inside gyms) is a 70-300mm 4-5.6 G

Is there a newer lens that would fit my needs and give me better results for action shots? Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Thanks. I've looked into all of those and even borrowed a friend's 70-200VR. It was very nice and I want to try it again without a flash. I just used my pop up and am wondering if I could eliminate the flash all together with such a lens.

I was really hoping to find something a little less pricey, but may have to break down and get that one if the others don't meet my needs.

For indoor sports you need f/2.8 or faster. Check the shots you've taken and see what the focal length is, maybe an 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 will work for you. It might be a little long when the action is close to you, but you may be abe to work around that. I know a few people that use that lens for basketball and do pretty well. The f/1.8 is under $400. If you don't like the prime idea and don't want to spring for the 70-200 there are quite a few 80-200s on the used market. Fast zooms don't come cheap.

I picked up a nearly new 80-200 f2.8 AF-S for $900 CDN. It's an excellent lens and I've used it for sports and photojournalism in various lighting conditions. You might get lucky in the used market so I'd give it a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back