Lens for Nikon D5100

cslewis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new lens for my camera, Nikon D5100, and would like some advise.

I am going to use it for indoor (night club, bar, parties) events and some outside family portrait photos.
I am looking at 3 sigma lenses and am not sure which one to buy. Would love any help I can get as I
am new to this.

1) 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS (I hear its a good lens but not sure where the macro comes into play)
2) 18-125 mm F3.8-5.6 DC OS
3) 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Indoors? Get the fastest lens you can, and on that list it's #1.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you covering at the nightclubs and bars?
I do a bit of nightclub photography for the local newspaper/online outlet and most of my pics are of the crowd, within a couple feet. What I use most of the time is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8

I really needed the wide side because of space limitations, but personally don't need too much zoom. I'm always using flash so I don't need VR/VC/OS etc. and find I usually shoot at f4, f4.5. If you're planning to get pictures of the performance, DJ etc, that zoom would be helpful. It would be ideal to have the constant f2.8, but I reckon f4 with VC would work pretty good.

@ amolitor. Thank you

@ KmH . That is kinda what I thought. A friend of mine made me nervous about the "macro" part and I notice they show it a lot with this lens. Thank you

@ MOREGONE . There will be crowd shots as well as the performers. I help out with some clubs and event promoters and am looking to expand my roll some.
The stock 15-55 lens just won't cut it. I am hoping that the lens I get will take a good shot and last. I looked at the 24-70 F2.8 but it is
just a bit out of my price range at this point. Thank you

IMHO it is #1. I rent from LensRental.com and have had good experiences each time on the rental. The rentals have confirmed or changed my mind. Great customer service and advice. Only problem iw you have to be home to sign for it. Other than that I would rent your first two choices and try each. A photo store will discount a new lens by the rental fee if you buy it new from them.

3) 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Chris

If we know that the max aperture at 250mm is 6.3 & shutter speed should be at a minimum of 1/250th sec what kind of light would be needed to keep ISO at 800 or lower?

thunderkyss said:
Are you saying Tamron 35mm 1.8g, or just 35mm 1.8g

I can't find a Tamron 35mm 1.8g, same with the 50mm

I believe he is referring to the Nikon 35mm F1.8G and the Nikon 50mm F1.8G lenses.

thunderkyss said:
If we know that the max aperture at 250mm is 6.3 & shutter speed should be at a minimum of 1/250th sec what kind of light would be needed to keep ISO at 800 or lower?

In the case of crop frame cameras it should be at least at 1/320s, IMO. You'd be able to shoot outdoors with it until the sun starts setting (at 250mm/6.3). But I wouldn't suggest anyone get a super zoom like this. Might as well just pick up a super zoom bridge camera for the money.

Most reactions

Back