Lens for school newspaper

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm on my school newspaper. The content of the paper is decent; however, I feel it is lacking in the photo department, and that we need some decent equipment for taking better shots. I'm trying to get the school to purchase us a Canon DSLR (I'm thinking of the XT with the included lens). I'm stumped, however, on a decent lens for shooting sports events. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fairly fast EF/EF-S lens for that purpose?

As of now, I don't really have a ballpark figure regarding amount that can be spent, but I'll try to find out this week and update this thread.

Lens suggestions of any price range would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For indoor sports, it really matters how close you are to the action. If you can sit on one end of the court say for basketball, you can defintely make due with a 50mm f/1.8. That might actually give you too much 'zoom' on the cropped sensor. In any case, what you will need is a fast lens.

The 50mm would run you probably around $100?

if you can spend about $1500 I suggest the 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM or EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. for a cheaper lens try the EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM for about $500

Why not talk the school into buying a real camera? Get a Nikon. :lol:

Calm down all you Canon phreaks...

The D40 would be perfect for a high school paper. Add the 50mm 1.8 for $100 and you're all ready to go. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=471716&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I'd avoid the D40x - the additional res will just slow down the processing time for what you're doing.

But remember start high with the money so they can talk you down! Ask for $2000 and you might get $1000. Don't ask for $800 or you'll end up with a pencil and some paper to sketch with. :lmao:

Just a thought... good luck.

my school for all photography related stuff uses either the canon 70-200mm 2.8 L or some 24-70mm 2.8. You want fast lenses. If your budget is low and you buy a slow lens it will be useless in the winter for all those indoor sports. you may think a gym is bright but inside u prop can only shoot 1/125 at iso 800 with an aperature of 4.0. keep that in mind if you want good pictures.

Hey guys,

Looks like we have a change of plans. The photography department already has Nikon lenses, so it would make things easier if the newspaper got a Nikon camera so we can borrow a specific lens if needed.

We should have around $2,500 to spend on a whole kit.

So far on the list, I have a D80 w/kit lens ($1,170), and a spare battery ($45). That leaves us with about $1300 to spend on a flash, fast telephoto lens, various things such as filters and a memory card, and an aluminum (I would prefer aluminum) case for everything.

Any suggestions? Mainly suggestions of a flash and a lens suitable for sports.

Thanks!!

Hahaha--what do you have against Canon? The quality between Canon and Nikon must be similar (Ford, Chevy?).

Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at that lens and well and it seems to be a keeper (as does the flash). *Adds to list*

Now all I need is:

-Tripod
-High speed memory card
-Filters?
-Hard Case (A hard, lockable case that can be tied down to something. I am in a school afterall)

~$300 between the above.

Thanks again.

you wont find any aluminum cases (if you do expensive) but you can get a pelican hard palstic case that are water proof and can be even used to jack up a car (read user reviews). Those cases will get close to $200 for the size you need though ( they do come with locks). For high speed memory i would check locally and online because sometimes teh ultra II 2 gigers can get pretty low especially with sales. Filters arent really necessary now but to protect your glass they are great. i got my telephot and stock lens filters for around $50 for both. Tripods can be super cheap but then they suck. look at what you can afford by the brand manfotto.

I don't have anything against Canon, I just a loyal Nikon user. And Ford sucks... go Chevy.

With the remaining cash you should focus on the tripod and memory card... I don't think a hard case will fit into your budget. Or thinking about it maybe go for the case and get the tripod later... at 2.8 you can hand hold that beast... you'll have massive arms by the summer. :lmao:

Anyway if someone steals the gear it doesn't matter what camera you buy - so get a secure case.

Sounds good.

By the way, I'm a Chevy guy as well :D

If the budget is killing you,you might consider going with the SB600 instead of the SB800. That will save you about $140. The guide number is higher by a 1/4 on the 800 but the only thing you will want an on camera flash for is fill anyway. If you check out strobist.com and like what they are doing, the money you save will easily buy a stand, flash/umbrella holder and umbrella. The D80 has a commander mode to control the flash off camera already so you won't need pocket wizards. mike

my school wont even buy us a new enlarger *grumbles*

Well I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. I plan on taking the advantage of the schools money (as a result of exceedingly high taxes) as much as I can. No tax dollar can go to waste!

My school (in the Los Angeles school district) doesn't have anything close to this for cameras. Year book and newspaper have tiny little P&S. It wouldn't help to have an SLR tho because I'm about the only one in my school that can operate one.

Our film program on the other hand is COMPLETELY different. We have 4 (soon to be 5) Panasonic DVX100's, full studio with green and blue screens, studio lights, lighting kits, jib arm, and a giant mess of other goodies. Ulysses S. Grant High School, you will be able to find us as one of the top film high school if you look online :)

Most reactions

Back