Lens help please

Paul birkett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have made an error and purchased a sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4 aspherical, turns out this lens is only for the canon eos film camera and won't work on my eos 7d DSLR.. sigma can't get parts to rechip it to make it work on my DSLR.. so my question is... is there any adaptors that will allow it to work as it should or my other options are.. try and sell it or buy a chip from Canada and risk screwing it up and fitting it myself ( not sure what to do as the lens is in mint condition visually)

Any adapter would increase the flange focal distance and thus would make the lens unusable.
I have never attempted a re-chip, so I cannot comment on that.

I think I would try to return it to the seller if you bought it within the past couple of weeks.

On the other hand, some sellers on ebay specifically indicate 'no returns', in which case you're stuck with it. If that's the case, I'd try to sell it again on ebay for a little less than you paid for it and see if someone else buys it. But I'd add the caveat that it only works on Canon EOS film cameras and early Canon DSLRs that can accept that lens. It might take a while to sell to find someone willing to buy it with those caveats. But I'd rather sell it that way than have someone leave negative feed back stating 'posting did not indicate the lens works on very limited number of Canon cameras'.

If I were you, I will try to talk to the seller and see if he/she will take it back with full refund or partial refund.

In my opinion, I do not think it is a good idea to invest more money on that lens such as adding a adapter (even if you find one that work, it will require a optics in the adapter to take care of the flange to focal plane distance issue which may further degrade the image quality) or re-chip it.

Edit: Typo Should be further, not future

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back