lens hood for use w/polarizer?

twohearted

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a circular polarizing filter. On the good advice of several people on this forum, I bought one for a larger diameter lens than I currently own, and I bought a step up ring to attach it to my smaller lens. So far so good.

It was also suggested to me that I get a lens hood that will thread directly into the front of my filter, rather than one with a bayonet mount. The reason given for this was that, with the hood threaded directly into the filter, I would not have to remove the hood every time I needed to rotate the CPL; I could just rotate the hood and the filter would rotate with it. Excellent advice.

So my question is, which type of hood--solid or tulip-petal--or does it matter? I searched the forums and found a discussion in which several people said that lenses with a rotating front element had to use solid hoods. Does the same apply to my rotating filter?

I'm a little confused, so any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryon

Petal hoods only work on lenses that don't rotate during focusing or zooming. If the lens does, it can still use a solid hood, but it will be round. And you will need to re-orient your polarizer every time you adjust the lens.

Okay, so...my front element does rotate during focusing, so that means I should go for a solid hood, not the petal-shaped one. Since I'm going to be threading this hood into a 72mm filter that's in turn threaded (via step-up ring) into my 58mm lens, I have to buy a "universal" (i.e. generic, not lens-specific) hood...that means I'm taking a gamble on getting the right length of hood to prevent flaring while not blocking so much light that vignetting occurs...so, would something like this be a good deal? 72mm 3 Stage Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood Canon Nikon Sony Sigma Pentax Camera | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, so...my front element does rotate during focusing, so that means I should go for a solid hood, not the petal-shaped one. Since I'm going to be threading this hood into a 72mm filter that's in turn threaded (via step-up ring) into my 58mm lens, I have to buy a "universal" (i.e. generic, not lens-specific) hood...that means I'm taking a gamble on getting the right length of hood to prevent flaring while not blocking so much light that vignetting occurs...so, would something like this be a good deal? 72mm 3 Stage Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood Canon Nikon Sony Sigma Pentax Camera | eBay

What lens do you have?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You know, I never thought of that? Trying to turn the CPL with a stupid NIKON lens hood is a set it and hope I got it right ordeal. Interested, is there such a thing as a threaded lens hood and yes, how bout it's length/fit to not vignette?

Sparky, I have the Canon Rebel T3i - it came with an 18-55mm kit lens and I also have a 75-300mm telephoto. Both are 58mm lenses.

I'd buy a hood for each lens.

At some "real camera stores" there is usually a junk bin that has 20,30,40 of the offshore, soft, collapsible rubber lens hoods. Trouble is, "real camera stores" are not very common these days. Keep in mind: the majority of rubber lens hoods were made and specified for "full-frame" angles of view...many of them are OLD now, and if they have been spec'd, they often say "50mm"...but that's for a 50mm lens on 35mm film or FF digitial SLR...so...you can often use a lens designed for a longer lens, if you are shooting on a crop-frame body.

WHat yuo want is the longest, and the narrowest diameter lens hood you can get, so that it gives maximum shading. Buuuuuut, since you went for a 77mm filter size, you have a LARGER diameter lens shade, so it can be kinda' long, and probably still not cause vignetting even with a fairly wide-angle lens length in use. I assuming you have two lenses, with 58mm filter thread on their fronts; and that you use a 58 to 77mm step ring; so...you would want a rubber lens shade with a 77mm thread on it. A rubber hood designed for say, a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF-D might be a good choice. Again, the shade is BIG in diameter, so that will help avoid vignetting.

Most 70-300 lenses have a DINKY shade, that is good for the 70-85mm end, but is inadequate for the longer settings....but that's the way a zoom lens hood is designed--it's a compromise!!! I would look for the rubber 77mm screw-in hood for a 300mm f/4 prime lens as the right hood for the 70-300 used on APS-C. Again...the bigger-than-58mm diameter of a 77mm hood is gonna help avoid vignetting.

The idea solution is to go to a place that ctually HAS a bunch of hoods. ORRRRRR--buy yourself a selection of them. There last for a couple decades under normal use, then eventually, they get brittle and the outer ring falls off.

You know, I never thought of that? Trying to turn the CPL with a stupid NIKON lens hood is a set it and hope I got it right ordeal. Interested, is there such a thing as a threaded lens hood and yes, how bout it's length/fit to not vignette?

Same here-I've been using a CPL and a Tamron petal hood. It's possible, but it is quite a pain in the ever living rear end. I'm gonna just buy a solid screw in hood. Thanks for asking this-I'd never thought about it.

Derrel -- THANK YOU for those specific recommendations! That is very helpful information; now I have a much better idea what to look for.

Most reactions

Back