Lens question

Macro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was looking at macro lenses and came across a MP-E65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo. What is a mp lens and will it work with the 10D?

The 1.6 magnification factor is a very misleading thing. I found this on the net and it really cleared things up for me. I hope it's helpful.

"First of all, the correct term is an FOV Crop. Focal Length Multiplier is a misnomer.

A few things are in order first:

- The FOV Crop on the 300D, like the EOS 10D, is 1.6. This is because the CMOS sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame.
- The focal length of a lens is the distance from the rear glass element to the focal plane at infinity focus.
- We're used to relating the 35mm focal-length to what we see in a picture as "zoom"

Since the 300D/10D/other digicams have smaller sensors, they're only seeing a portion of the image that a 35mm full-frame sensor or film would see. This is where the FOV crop comes into play.

That said, taking a picture with Canon's excellent 50mm f/1.8 lens is still a normal lens. Distortion of the image will be the same in full-frame as in the smaller sensor. However, you won't see as much of the image -- you'll see the same amount of the image as if you had an 80mm lens on there (50mm * FOV Crop). This is why a 50mm prime lens is still good for the 300D/10D sized sensors as a "normal" lens. "
marius
[/quote]

doxx said:
it's a manual focus lens - I personally find it tricky to focus manually with the 10Ds small viewfinder.

Would it be possible to use the LCD display as a viewfinder?

Doxx

I have a FD to EF converter, a problem I am have with the FD lens on 10D is the light meter reading and settings

Jeff, I can only offer my best guess here... since the 10D (and other EOS cameras too) controls the aperture electronically I doubt it stops down with the FD converter. So you'll need to stop the lens down manually and use the camera in manual mode to adjust the shutter speed :scratch: Don't take me for granted on this one...

Most reactions

Back