Lens question.

kinzer1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon Rebel-XT and would like to take pictures of wooden train, car and motorcycle models. The models range from sizes 12” to 36” long, 6” to 16” tall and 6” to 16” wide.

Which lens should I buy to obtain the best possible details?

Depending on what you want the images to look like I'd suggest a macro lens that will allow you to get real close.

The Canon 100mm Macro is a great lens but generally most of the Macro lenses from Sigma/Tamron and Canon are all great.

O.K. thanks. Will I be able to capture a 36" wide model lets say with the 100mm Macro?

The EF-S 60 f/2.8 Macro is really good also. I use it on shots for miniatures and dioramas. Still wide enough to get the whole scene in without standing too far back. For over-all performance, nothing beats the EF 180 f/3.5 L though. Except the price tag. ;)

The most versatile choice will be a macro lens - a lens that focuses closely. That will give you the flexibility to get up close and isolate areas of the models.

O.K. thanks. Will I be able to capture a 36" wide model lets say with the 100mm Macro?

If you have space you can capture any size subject with the 100.

The Canon 100mm Macro would be great, because you can back up as well and it serves as a decent "portrait" style lens. You don't necessarily have to be really close.

That would be your best bet. You can get the details up close or you can get the whole thing from a bit farther to fill the frame.

Most reactions

Back