Lense help

shev76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, i am going to start taking photos for a used car website and was wondering what lenses would be reccomended for it...a shop has suggested 17-50 tamron but was also wondering what people on here think too

at the moment ive got a D5100 with kit lenses

thanks

raventepes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd go for the Nikon 16-85, or if you want really wide, Tokina 11-16 Pro II.

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, i am going to start taking photos for a used car website and was wondering what lenses would be reccomended for it...a shop has suggested 17-50 tamron but was also wondering what people on here think too

thanks

If you have the kit lenses then you should already have an 18-55 or something similar that should work fine. I'd worry more about lighting than I would the lens.

Braineack

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I always tend to shoot wide when taking car pics; especially when taking photos to sell it.

cbarnard7

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

thanks

If you have the kit lenses then you should already have an 18-55 or something similar that should work fine. I'd worry more about lighting than I would the lens.

I agree with SCraig- the 18-55 is already enough wide for what you want to shoot. Just work on technique and how to take pictures of cars in a way that people will want to buy them. Take a look at other websites and try to mimic their compositions.

shadowlands

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Did you decide on anything yet?
Check out the prices on the Nikon AF-S 18-70. Just sayin'

PaulWog

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

thanks

Take a look at the Sigma 17-50mm. Personally I wish I went with that lens (or the Nikon 17-55) as my first lens.

I got the 16-85mm VR, which is also a lens I would recommend. I don't plan on selling the 16-85 even though I plan to also pick up a 17-50.

Some people will tell you that you need more range than 17-50 for your walk-around, but it's going to depend on what you want. Since you have a kit lens, you can decide for yourself: Do you want more reach? The 17-50 will basically be a sharper version of your current kit lens (if it's the 18-55 kit lens), and it will have an aperture of f2.8 across the board when you want it to be that wide.

Braineack

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I would gladly sacrifice 5mm of reach to be able to shoot f/2.8 at 50mm vs. ~5.6

MartinCrabtree

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would gladly sacrifice 5mm of reach to be able to shoot f/2.8 at 50mm vs. ~5.6

Not sure 2.8 would give the DOF for an object the size of a car. Off camera (fill) flash,wide and f5.6-8 gives great results with that kinda subject.

JaronRH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jhorstphotography.com
Photos NOT OK to edit

Not sure 2.8 would give the DOF for an object the size of a car. Off camera (fill) flash,wide and f5.6-8 gives great results with that kinda subject.

I agree. Although, shooting a 2.8 lens at f/5.6-8 would probably be that lenses sweet spot as opposed to shooting a variable aperture lens that is "wide open" at f/5.6.

Most reactions

ClickASnap