Lenses for my minolta srT 101

KatWolfdancer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got Gifted a nice Minolta SRT 101.
I also happen to have a very nice zoom lens which came with a prototype camera (Nikomat by Nikon) which I have been told just costs way too much money to fix and of course, now that I have the Minolta, why bother. (I will add it to my old antique and weird camera collection.)

The zoon lens is a Vivitar 85-205mm close focusing auto zoom, and while the camera was working, I got some of the best coolest just WOWZER pictures I've ever taken! (much less seen)

SO I am wondering if the zoom lens and the Minolta camera are compatible, and if not, is there an adaptor which will make them compatible?

I'm a rank n00b. Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

>^,,^<

SR-T 101. You need lenses that have the Minolta SR mount, or an adapter that adapts another mount design to the SR mount.

I was gifted a used SR-T 101 back in 1980. They made the last SR-Ts in 1976.

Vivitar just re-brands low and medium quality lenses made by other companies.

If you can, get Minotla Rokkor lenses for your camera.

Minolta merged with Konica, and in 2006 Sony took over Konica Minolta's camera business.

Pretty sure Minolta MD and Minolta MC mount lenses are the same as the "SR" mount KmH is referring to; I have not heard of the SR mount, but am familiar with the MD mount, which is what I thin k of when I think of manual focus Minolta lenses. Minolta made both Rokkor and Celtic lenses for their SLR cameras. Both are decent, and were well-made. Minolta manual focus is a dead lens mount; there are NO cameras being made that use the MD mount, and it has been thus for many years. At Goodwill and pawn shops, Minolta-moint manual focus zooms bring $10-$15, sometimes $19.95 WITH A MINOLTA camera on the back of the lens.

Many pawn shops have big inventories of dusty old MD mount lenses with zero buyers; make LOWBALL offers and let them know that you know the MD-mount lenses are almost worthless for retail sales now that the mount is a dead mount. OLd 70-200,70-210, 70-205, 80-200 whatever zooms and 35-70 zooms from off-brand makers are worth....less than $20 today. Seriously.

Congrats on the great find! The SRT-101 was my first SLR (bought it new in '74). I wanted a Nikon or a Canon, but couldn't afford one (sort of like now :)). Absolutely loved that camera.

You have gotten some good advice above. Sadly, because Minolta MC and MD lenses are seeing increased demand (because we mirrorless guys are buying them up), the prices have gone up a little. You can still find good deals on eBay and elsewhere, but it's becoming a little more difficult to find that 'great 50mm f1.4 lens for $10' :)

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a SRT 100 and a SRT 201. The best zoom I've seen for the Minolta is a Kiron 70-200 f/4 which I happen to have an excellent copy of.

Most reactions

Back