TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This the war memorial that stands above Stornoway, Isle of Lewis

The population of Lewis at the outset of WWI was under 30,000 and yet it provided 6,172 servicemen of which 1,151 were killed. The memorial was designed by architect I.H.Gall of Inverness and lists names by school districts. It was unveiled just before September 18th 1924. No exact figure of those serving in the Second World War has ever been officially recorded, but from the Rolls of Honour compiled by the various historical societies in the island, a figure in excess of 5,500 can be confidently extrapolated. The population figures of 25,205 for 1931 reveal that the level of service given in the Second World War was every bit as loyal as that committed in the First. Due to water erosion the memorial plaques which originally hung in the memorial have been moved and are now housed in the ring of standing stones at the right hand side of this image.

Lewis War Memorial by wee_pete, on Flickr

Very moody sky, which suits the subject well. The gorse sets the whole thing off nicely.

Thanks mate. I'm still working on my PP and this one was a bit awkward having not been taken in ideal conditions.

Most reactions

Back