Licensing for Friend's Band?

10% is a little high for such a deal in this kind of industry. The 1% stated by robbins is in the ball park. If they manage to have one gold record in their bands history the OP at 1% would net in the area of 85K to 100k.

George Lucas was the last of the folks that got stupid rich off of such deals when he directed the first Star Wars and had the rights to merchandising as his. 20th Century Fox and basically no other studio except Disney did any merchandising at the time and Disney's was nothing like it is today.

George also put Reese's Pieces on the map when Mars refused to let him use M&M's as ET's favorite candy in the movie of the same name.

Last edited:
Yes, they currently put out their music for free as they are trying to establish themselves.

if they are selling their music for free there is a high probability they want your photos for free

Yes, they currently put out their music for free as they are trying to establish themselves.

if they are selling their music for free there is a high probability they want your photos for free

No, he's my friend and he realizes the value of my work. He's the one who asked to license it and for the price. I've just never done it so I didn't know what to tell him. I like some of the ideas here.

Is he your good drinking buddy friend? If so why not write up a license that states you get front row seats for life to any concert you want to attend. And if they want to relicense the image after two years because they are making money then state that. Asking for a super low amount now (because you basically know much they can afford today) might not get you perks that tomorrow could be much more valuable. It may also place yourself in a certain light(cheap) for any word of mouth recommendations.

While I agree 100% professionals should never ever work for free - sometimes with good friends the karma does come back. I helped my friend on a remodeling project last year - he could easily of paid me $500 for my time. I was content with burgers and beer this spring he helped me on an auto problem that could of easily cost me a $1,000 at a garage.

I absolutely agree you should have a license with the image, but charging $100 for a two year worldwide license that seems petty and more likely take away your perceived value. If he's not a close friend, just an acquaintance ignore everything I've said.

Why worldwide use if they are only selling locally?

p.s. I think the license shouldn't be a blanket two year term - I think it best to have it for so many covers 5,000, 10,000 etc. If they're making 10,000 CDs you should get money and not $100 bucks

Last edited:
Is he your good drinking buddy friend? If so why not write up a license that states you get front row seats for life to any concert you want to attend. And if they want to relicense the image after two years because they are making money then state that. Asking for a super low amount now (because you basically know much they can afford today) might not get you perks that tomorrow could be much more valuable. It may also place yourself in a certain light(cheap) for any word of mouth recommendations.

While I agree 100% professionals should never ever work for free - sometimes with good friends the karma does come back. I helped my friend on a remodeling project last year - he could easily of paid me $500 for my time. I was content with burgers and beer this spring he helped me on an auto problem that could of easily cost me a $1,000 at a garage.

I absolutely agree you should have a license with the image, but charging $100 for a two year worldwide license that seems petty and more likely take away your perceived value. If he's not a close friend, just an acquaintance ignore everything I've said.

Why worldwide use if they are only selling locally?

p.s. I think the license shouldn't be a blanket two year term - I think it best to have it for so many covers 5,000, 10,000 etc. If they're making 10,000 CDs you should get money and not $100 bucks

So you mean license it for free?

I had no idea about the complexities of licensing. I've known 'musicians' and artists who've been giving it away for 20+ years and arent really making money playing shows either. The definition of professionals is making money at what you do. Are they full time? Do they have day jobs? Do your friend a favor or bleed him for all you can. Only you know what kind of money is on the table, what seems reasonable and acceptable to you both. Regardless of what the band makes plenty of aspiring models/ actors will pay $700 for a portfolio but i feel a lot of that is scammy. One pic for a shoot thats already been done, should be fairly straightforward to establish its market value. Guessing off the top of my head $200-$500 if not $30-$50 seems fair, royalties forever because your pics on an album cover (???) somebody said 10% of album sales ha! get it if you can. I'm not sure the band members get that much. Stuff costs that much these days i guess. I see people charging $100 for 30 minutes and 5 personal shots. That might be a good deal, $700 model portfolios likely dont get much more time from the extras wanted office down in times square, depends on your market and how y'all roll. Paris hilton gets thousands of dollars from her friends to organize their closet. Sorry i go on about stuff but have no idea what I'm talking about.

Most reactions

Back