Lighthing where there's no power

LonelyRanger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Howdy, all. I've been given permission to photograph in an old mill that's about to be renovated into condos and restaurants. While the lighting will be decent in most situations (it's floor to ceiling windows...a typical mill), there is a basement and probably some nooks and crannies with some interesting subjects. The lighting, I'm guessing, will be less than stellar.

Now, here comes my question. These inexpensive light kits with halogen bulbs, etc, are great, but I'm thinking that even though they are about to renovate this building, there's still only a 20% chance the power is on (if it's connected at all). So, I'll take along my array of extension cords and the lights themselves, but what is a good "Plan B" for when power is not available?

Does anyone have an inexpensive set-up they can recommend that's battery powered? Best if it's something I might find here in the big city, since my scheduled time is on Saturday...

If you shoot Nikon and can do CLS, rent some SB-600's. $75 tops.

If not, rent a battery powered strobe kit. $75 minimum.

Wal mart carries a jump battery box for your car I think it's like $79 it has a 120v converter on it with 2 outlets. I used it at a forest preserve at night to light up a car I was photographing. It lasted for the entire shoot, but if it didn't you could charge it from the cigarette lighter in the car. And this way if your battery goes dead you don't need a jump.

If you shoot Nikon and can do CLS, rent some SB-600's. $75 tops.

If not, rent a battery powered strobe kit. $75 minimum.

^^^Thats what i would do. Flash are very small and easy to move around

Most reactions

New Topics

Back