Lighting and photo criticism request

Forgot an important tip! When shooting portraits outdoors with one flash put a warming gel over it. Here is a way to change background color using a flash and colored gels.
Just One More Flash – KelbyOne
and here again:

Thanks so much for your kind words. It wasn't always so easy to get her to smile :) It came from many years of practice. We're also not beyond a bribe :)

So I watched the whole video, and actually have the orange plastic thing that goes over my SB-700, but this video failed to explain why/how it supposedly makes the pictures better.

How does it affect my white balance?

How does it affect my white balance

Not a big fan of Kelby. All light has a color "temperature". It can be confusing, here's some examples and where they stand.
kelvin-temp.jpg

In a nutshell when you're outside your ambient light "temperature" may or not be equal to your flash temp. As you can see even a moderately overcast day can be far away from your flash in terms of color. Using a CTO (orange) gel on your flash or CTB (blue) gel in combination with camera WB setting will adjust the color temperature of the scene to a more pleasing match. Heres one of the easiest to understand articles Ive found on their use. How to Use CTO and CTB Gels to Change the Color of Your Background

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back