Lighting error? Manual white balance discrepancies

Onz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, awesome forum :)

Hope you guys can help, I am really confused as I've never experienced this before and it appears as though there is some error occurring when the camera processes the lighting and composition information to produce the image.

DSLR: Canon 70D
Lens: Sigma Art 18-35mm
Mode: Manual
- 1/200 sec
- f/1.8
- ISO 1000
- 31mm
- High speed continuous
- Temp 5150 with +7 tint (as shot)

In the image, you can see the lights on the roof are appearing in different white balances, some are white and some are green. In reality all these lights a white fluorescent. I have provided two shots to demonstrate how the white balance appears to be changing, the settings for these two shots are identical. I noticed this occurred a couple of times during my shooting on the night, and I couldn't figure out why. I suspect it may be one of the system settings trying to reduce noise on high ISO or something.

Any help and info would be soooo much appreciated, it feels like it's ruined my shot :(

Thanks.

Attachments

• Composition issues.jpg
    Composition issues.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • Composition issues-2.jpg
    Composition issues-2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
I think that's a common problem with flouresent lights, they can give out different colours if you use fast shutter speeds. AFAIK the only way around it is to use your own flash units.

Fluorescent lights have color temperatures ranging from 3000 to 6500 degrees Kelvin depending on the lamp (Cool White, Warm White, etc.). When they are replaced people normally don't worry too much about matching what is already there and just use anything available so it isn't at all uncommon to see a mix of color temperatures with fluorescent lamps.

Changing the white balance in post processing isn't difficult but when you have a mix of color temperatures you'll have to pick the value that looks closest and ignore the rest.

Thanks everyone!

Most reactions

Back