Lighting Inquiry

Tigerblood79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to get a set of softbox or continuous lights that I can use for either photo or video. The salesman at the local photography store reccomends Westcott Spiderlite, however, when I explore on the internet Photoflex Starlite seems to be a better light.

I almost bought a set of cheap lights until I was told that my actors and models would bake under them.

I am pretty crafty, so if anyone can tell me how to construct my own lights that will be functional and make my photos look professional, I'll give that a go. I am always interested in a DIY endeavor.

The main thing I need though is a reliable light that won't bake people and doesn't have overly expensive replacement bulbs.

Thanks to all who help!!!

If you don't want to bake people you'll need flash bulbs.

If you want to DIY a flash then I hope you're an electrical engineer because you will need to be comfortable wiring up +50000uf of line voltage capacitors, need to know how to electrically isolate 240V from your 6V camera, and need how to safely hook up a 3.5kV xenon trigger. ;)

For lighting on a slightly cheaper scale have a look at http://strobist.blogspot.com

I have heard of photographers and videographers constructing their own soft box lights.

My main question was if anyone can give me an honest review of Westcott Spiderlite and Photoflex Starlite.

I should have stated that more clearly in my original post.

So does anyone have any experience with either set of lights?

I have heard of photographers and videographers constructing their own soft box lights.

My main question was if anyone can give me an honest review of Westcott Spiderlite and Photoflex Starlite.

I should have stated that more clearly in my original post.

You should have, edit your first post and add this detail, and go through strobist too.

Ok I have waited this long so I am re-hashing this thread in hopes that someone will understand, and possibly answer my question.

This is the question as clearly as I can state it. Which is a better light, The PHOTOFLEX STARLITE, or THE WESTCOTT SPIDERLITE?

If anyone has experience with these products, and can give an explanation of their strengths and weaknesses it would help me greatly.

In my opinion the Westcott Spiderlites are the best money can buy. They are durable and easy to use. Also, if you find yourself in a position where you have to have strobes they have a strobe bulb you can fit into your Spiderlites. I have been using them for awhile now and they are great. there are alot of big pros sporting these lights on their photo tours. Check out what Scott Kelby is saying about them on YouTube.

Kino Flo.

End of story.

Most reactions

Back