Lighting Question

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently got a stand and umbrella to use with a speedlight for lighting portraits but I'm wondering how to set it up to shoot 2 or more people. Typically with 1 person I'd put the umbrella to their side, maybe at a 45 degree angle or so but with 2 people I would think that might create some uneven lighting. Anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to get a 2nd light?

There are several things you can do.
Move the light closer to the camera to even out the lighting. Arrange the people so that they are about the same distance from the light. Use a reflector to brighten up the person farther from the light. Move the light (or people) farther away.

There are several things you can do.
Move the light closer to the camera to even out the lighting. Arrange the people so that they are about the same distance from the light. Use a reflector to brighten up the person farther from the light. Move the light (or people) farther away.

Doh! I completely forgot to talk about reflectors. I was just thinking about the way I would have done it. The reflectors would provide a nice look. I was just going for the butterfly shadow...

Cool, thanks a lot guys. I had thought about reflectors a bit ago too but forgot about it until you just mentioned. You think that'd look more natural than repositioning the umbrella? Also, is it critical to keep the same colors in reflectors and umbrellas?

I'll check out Strobist... I usually browse through it when I'm bored at work.

Thanks... I'm admittedly a total newb when it comes to lighting so it's exciting to dive into something new.

Also, is it critical to keep the same colors in reflectors and umbrellas?
It's not critical...but if you do use something that introduces a color, then you will get that color showing up were that light is prevalent. Silver and white don't introduce colors but a gold reflector will. So if you used a white umbrella and a gold reflector, the parts lit by the reflector will be 'warmer'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back