Lightroom B&W. C&C please

Alex Europa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I'll try again since my last C&C didn't get any love (sorry for the shameless plug:taped sh:).

Anywho, I was playing around in Lightroom and came up with this image...I considered stopping at various stages (because I generally don't like "artsy" photos like this) but this is by far my favorite version.

3578455980_2832d0d037_b.jpg

The original can be found in my Flickr stream...feel free to play with it.

Thanks!!!

- Alex

You've got some serious solarization going on in the background there.

Converting to black and white is usually done in Photoshop with either the Channel Mixer or a Black & White adjustment layer.

Converting to black and white is pretty much beyond the capabilities of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

Adobe never intended for Lightroom to be a standalone image editor. It was aintended to be used in conjunction with Photoshop CS3/4.

Technically Lightroom is a database manager with a bit of image editing capability.

Solarization? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. I've done a few google searches, but it hasn't cleared anything up. Are you referring to the top right or bottom left?

As for Lightroom being used for PP, I understand what you mean (I also have CS3), but had actually just read a tutorial on using Lightroom to convert to B&W and the results were pretty good. Hence the decision to try to do it all in Lightroom.

- Alex

Converting to black and white is pretty much beyond the capabilities of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

Adobe never intended for Lightroom to be a standalone image editor. It was aintended to be used in conjunction with Photoshop CS3/4.

Technically Lightroom is a database manager with a bit of image editing capability.

I have to somewhat disagree about this. Although Lightroom is no where near PS, and it was intended specifically for Photography, I have to say that it is a VERY GOOD photo editing program. I have used many versions of PS, currently use CS3, for years for other purposes than photography. I edit photos in Aperture, PS, and lightroom. 80-90% of the time is use lightroom only. It does a very good job at the general photo editing tasks. If you want to get really creative, then PS is strongly recommended.

Most reactions

Back