Lightroom changes the exposure when I load an image to it - please help!!!

Theantiquetiger

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I load my images into Canon Digital Photo Professional and then select which ones I want in LR. A lot of times, LR will change the lighting (exposure) and make it darker. If I change the image to TIF in Canon DPP, LR does not swap the exposure.

Here is an example, the TIF image is how it looked when it came out of the camera, the RAW is what LR did to it. (I know it is a bad shot, I was playing around with my off camera speedlite)

AND BTW, how do I change LR to save as TIF (or something other than JPG)? I have looked every where for it.

raw vs tif by Theantiquetiger, on Flickr

Check if there is a preset in LR marked when you import your photos.
As for the save as TIF question, I think you can do it via export (there should be option for JPG,TIF,DNG,..)

DPP will read your exif data and make your adjustments from the camera. So if you have any color enhancement settings saved to it then DPP will read that and make the adjustment to your photo. When you then export that photo from DPP to a Tiff file, those settings are also saved. Once you open the file in lightroom, you will see exactly what you seen in DPP...... as this is what you are saying is going on.

Going back to the above statement, Lightroom does not read all the Exif data from Canon cameras. So what you see in Lightroom is exactly how the picture looks without any adjustments. What you see in DPP is the photo with adjustments made to it.

Hope you can understand what I wrote

Select a file, and then click File>EXPORT, and then the dialogues come up...select TIFF.

Select a file, and then click File>EXPORT, and then the dialogues come up...select TIFF.

***EDIT*** OK, I feel stupid, i never noticed the scroll down bar on the on the EXPORT page, so the problem of saving as JPG is fixed.

I still haven't figured out why LR is darkening my imported files. I guess the easiest thing to do is save image as TIF in DPP and then import to LR.

Last edited:
you are shooting raw I presume? and read above my other post. LR isnt making the adjustment, its DPP thats brightening the photo

Found this on another site that might explain it better. "To the best of my knowledge, Canon DPP only reads camera EXIF data, which includes Canon's own maker notes, and stores adjustments you make in its own proprietary format. They do not use Adobe's "eXtensible Metadata Platform" (XMP) at present, they're not listed on the XMP pages" Also Adobe is unable to read Canons propritary Exif data

So you will have to make a choice. Edit your photos in DPP then export as a TIFF or use LR

Last edited:
I'd suggest changing your workflow. There is practically no reason to use D.P.P. first, and then go into Lightroom.
Just import all your photos into Lightroom (then delete the ones you don't want).

As for why they are different...I'd guess that is because D.P.P. is applying your 'in camera' settings (picture styles) to the preview...where as Lightroom is showing you a 'baseline' preview.

It should be noted that different raw processing software (D.P.P. vs Adobe Camera Raw (in Lightroom)) will process files slightly differently. But unless you are specifically looking for something that D.P.P. can do....I'd suggest taking it out of your workflow. You'll probably find that by using only Lightroom, your photo processing and editing is a lot faster and easier.

I'd suggest changing your workflow. There is practically no reason to use D.P.P. first, and then go into Lightroom.
Just import all your photos into Lightroom (then delete the ones you don't want).

As for why they are different...I'd guess that is because D.P.P. is applying your 'in camera' settings (picture styles) to the preview...where as Lightroom is showing you a 'baseline' preview.

It should be noted that different raw processing software (D.P.P. vs Adobe Camera Raw (in Lightroom)) will process files slightly differently. But unless you are specifically looking for something that D.P.P. can do....I'd suggest taking it out of your workflow. You'll probably find that by using only Lightroom, your photo processing and editing is a lot faster and easier.
This^^^ :)

On my Lightroom, when I click on Import Photos, on the far right pane, there is a setting that says, "Apply During Import", and then gives me a big long pull-down menu of various pre-set "looks" which can be applied to the files and their previews. For example, I can click on Nikon Standard, or Nikon Landscape, or HDR Look-Moderate, or B&W Portraits of The Beach. These looks are due to the fact that I have installed some free Lightroom pre-sets that I got from Dave's Killer Lightroom Pre-sets blog. There are also a number of supplied pre-sets from Adobe.

If I click on a pre-set look, then Lightroom will apply it as it imports the images, and an instruction set will be written to reflect the changes needed to modify the image on export, as well as to modify the preview on on-screen way the image is displayed inside of Lightroom. These presets are pretty much like the Canon Picture Styles--they mold each image in different ways, creating a "look" or "style" that regulates the way the exported image will look once you decide to process the .CR2 files.

I still haven't figured out why LR is darkening my imported files.
The reason is that DPP, Lightroom's Develop module (Adobe Camera Raw), and other Raw converters use slightly different Raw file interpolation/editing algorithms.
Each Raw converter application will render a Raw file with a somewhat somewhat different look.

http://www.bythom.com/qadraw.htm
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All raw converters are not equal. Until the recent update to ACR, I never really liked the Adobe conversion for Nikon raw files (though I did like it for my Canon raw files; go figure, most of the Adobe team shoots Canon ;~). The latest version is much better, but still not as good as Capture NX is, in my opinion. Bibble has a different look than both those two, which some prefer. As do CaptureOne and DxO. But...[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Converters are a moving target. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the six years I've been seriously shooting digital, I've gone through five iterations of Capture, four iterations of ACR, and multiple iterations of every other converter. The good news is that each generation seems to do a better job, even with the files I shot years ago. The bad news is that "the best converter" isn't a stationary value. See myconverter comparison article for more of the current state.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Converters are doing more than conversion. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The craze in the past year or so has been to add noise reduction algorithms to raw converters. A setting of 0 for noise reduction doesn't always mean that no noise reduction is being applied! Likewise, many converters now allow you to "correct" for chromatic aberration, linear distortion, and vignetting. Just remember that you move away from your original data values with most of these tools, and are really then manipulating the conversion. Few are doing the correction during the demosaic, meaning that this is nothing more than just another post processing trick. See my comment about bits, above. Tools that apply after the demosaic to bit-limited data (e.g. in the shadows) have a way of making for visible artifacts.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back