What's new

lilipads-just a simple frame

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
8,708
Reaction score
1,312
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$DSC_2324_1242.webp
 
Lovely, very nice composition and maybe my only feedback would be I personally would straighten the pic just a bit but that's just nit picking :)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #3
Lovely, very nice composition and maybe my only feedback would be I personally would straighten the pic just a bit but that's just nit picking :)
Thanks. which way? I looked at the trees by the road and thought it was about on??
 
Lovely, very nice composition and maybe my only feedback would be I personally would straighten the pic just a bit but that's just nit picking :)
Thanks. which way? I looked at the trees by the road and thought it was about on??
You might be right, I think maybe slightly clockwise but I might be wrong but in any case its just a very minimal issue I wouldnt overly worry about, overall I love this picture, I really like landscaping pix :)
 
Looks like everything is leaning left to me but I'm pretty new to this.
 
I also feel like it leans left and could go clockwise just a bit. I love the photo, though. I am especially in no place to judge as I feel the need to straighten my own photos all the time. Well done.
 
Rotate a wee bit to the clockwise direction and crop in a bit...

I find the shot rather far away and boring, to be truthful bri. I know you don't like sugar-coating. I think there WAS an interesting image there, but this focal length is wayyyyy too short to show the relationship between the lilly pads, the pond's surface, and the small shed that is located between the pond and the cemetery. I think the reflection of the building and the lake surface and the white-barked trees could have made a nice horizontal, with about 3x longer a lens, stopped down to maybe f/11 or thereabouts, and 60 to 75% of the original picture area eliminated.

THe thing is, with that wide-angle a lens, when you shoot "from afar"...it creates zero foreground interest, and the background stuff is like....useless little dots of information. If you shoot from 45 yards like this but use a 200mm lens stopped down, it MAGNIFIES the actual SIZE of the background stuff, and it shows the near/far relationship very clearly and interestingly.

This is just a simple frame. I get that. But what a pedestrian scene like this needs is something called "lenswork". A simple scene like this requires the photographer to exhibit some SKILL with the lens, and how to use a lens, to make a compelling photo, even though, well, actually because of the fact that, the "scene" is...rather boring. I hope you will take this in the spirit in which it is intended, because this is some of the most-profound advice I can possibly give you. And I am 100% serious when I say that. Lenswork is what scenes like this need.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
Thanks all. And thanks derrel. It was taken at 34mm and I didn't stop it down (as you noticed). I had wanted the pond with graveyard behind it.
 
Rotate a wee bit to the clockwise direction and crop in a bit...

I find the shot rather far away and boring, to be truthful bri. I know you don't like sugar-coating. I think there WAS an interesting image there, but this focal length is wayyyyy too short to show the relationship between the lilly pads, the pond's surface, and the small shed that is located between the pond and the cemetery. I think the reflection of the building and the lake surface and the white-barked trees could have made a nice horizontal, with about 3x longer a lens, stopped down to maybe f/11 or thereabouts, and 60 to 75% of the original picture area eliminated.

THe thing is, with that wide-angle a lens, when you shoot "from afar"...it creates zero foreground interest, and the background stuff is like....useless little dots of information. If you shoot from 45 yards like this but use a 200mm lens stopped down, it MAGNIFIES the actual SIZE of the background stuff, and it shows the near/far relationship very clearly and interestingly.

This is just a simple frame. I get that. But what a pedestrian scene like this needs is something called "lenswork". A simple scene like this requires the photographer to exhibit some SKILL with the lens, and how to use a lens, to make a compelling photo, even though, well, actually because of the fact that, the "scene" is...rather boring. I hope you will take this in the spirit in which it is intended, because this is some of the most-profound advice I can possibly give you. And I am 100% serious when I say that. Lenswork is what scenes like this need.
you like this one better?

$DSC_2318_1274.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom