BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a long time PC user...

I can not afford to buy a Mac at the moment...

I am frustrated with Microsoft and Windows and its unstable behavior, viruses, and spyware....

I'd like to switch to Linux. I am a Gimp user.

However, I can't seem to find a decent "basic" editor... Like Adobe Lightroom or Canon's Digital Photo Professional, Where I can work on multiple RAW files at once.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you considered figuring out what the problem is with your windows setup and habits? I've been using windows based systems for 20 years and haven't had many issues.

Most instability problems are from either hardware or driver issues. As for viruses and spyware, get bitdefender and use firefox. That and don't visit questionable sites clicking on things. Bitdefender also helps with that.

If you want to post your system setup and the issues you are having maybe we can help you sort it out.

As an avid multi-OS user, could we hear the sepcific problems you're having with windows before you think about swapping to linux. Linux itself has loads of problems in and of itself; no dual monitor support with certain graphics cards, no 64bit flash support, not a lot of software, etc.

Viruses, malware, and instability are TYPICALLY user-end problems that can be fixed behaviorally. Or by locking yourself down to using a non-administrator account.

Have you considered figuring out what the problem is with your windows setup and habits?

Yes I have... And I know that the problen is Windows and poorly written software.

I am a computer technician and have been using computers since before Windows has existed....

The computer works for me.. not the other way around. :)

Ok, won't get myself involved in the Linux/Windows/OSX debate that is bound to erupt, but I'll just try to stay within the scope of the original question.

There are a couple of programs that might work for you, please note I do run Linux on several boxes but I don't use it for photo processing so these are not programs I've used myself:

Bibble pro - gets pretty good reviews, is supposed to be a lot like lightroom:

Bibble Labs - Professional Photo Workflow Software

From what I understand Raw Therapee is still somewhat early in it's development cycle but has shown a lot of promise:

RawTherapee Blog

There is also UFRaw, which can be integrated with the Gimp:

UFRaw - Home

Hope that helps.

Have a look at LightZone and Raw Therapee. They're both available in versions for Linux. What's harder to find is a pixel-level photo editor that is 16 bit capable. GIMP is limited to 8 bit and as such is basically chopped off at the knees. I don't know a workable way right now to convert a raw file to 16 bit and then continue processing that 16 bit image in a pixel-level editor when that's a necessary next step. I'd consider switching to Linux as well if I could get that and could also get full color management functioning on a Linux distro.

Joe

I am a long time PC user...

I can not afford to buy a Mac at the moment...

I am frustrated with Microsoft and Windows and its unstable behavior, viruses, and spyware....

I'd like to switch to Linux. I am a Gimp user.

However, I can't seem to find a decent "basic" editor... Like Adobe Lightroom or Canon's Digital Photo Professional, Where I can work on multiple RAW files at once.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I use Darktable. I works with Shotwell if you set it up as the RAW editor. Basically go to shotwell, click a photo and right click edit will take that photo to darktable. I like it like that for my non comercial purposes but I can see how that would work well for such things.

I absolutely loved Bibble but I haven't tried it since it became a Corel product. I was never a fan of Gimp when I ran Linux.

Hello.

Is it possible to find a similar function control for editing 'clarity' (in Lightroom) in a Linux RAW processor? Can't find them neither in Darktable nor RAWtherapee.

Thanks.

You should probably start your own thread for this. You can do a clarity adjustment in the equalizer in darktable. Look at the presets.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back