Little House Big Wind

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is from a few years ago.

Screenshot_20240508_223859_Flickr.jpg

Light editing in LR.

This is the "sort of photo" that I'd like to improve most at. I live in Idaho, in a rural part of the state and beauty like this scene can be found. It's also the sort of shot that speaks most to me.

I would t change much, though I remember it was a fleeting moment between light and wind, so I snapped it as quickly as I could while passing by, going bird hunting.

Looking for any and all thoughts on the shot. Does it speak to you, too? Or is this more if a individual fetish of sorts? What does it evoke? What would you change?

I think the sky area needs to be darker to bring out the cloud details.
That tuft of dark brown grass in the foreground needs to go.

Yes, darker is better for the sky.
Hmm, in writing this reply my screen scrolled down and cropped your image ... hmmm ....
1715301847745.png

Since it was the sky that you like ... lets just minimize the rest of the scene.

This is the "sort of photo" that I'd like to improve most at. I live in Idaho, in a rural part of the state and beauty like this scene can be found. It's also the sort of shot that speaks most to me.
I can see what captured your eye....beautiful country, and actually not bad on the image.

Looking for any and all thoughts on the shot. Does it speak to you, too? Or is this more if a individual fetish of sorts? What does it evoke? What would you change?
Landscapes can often present challenges with dynamic range (to bright sky, to dark foreground, bright highlights, etc.). The solution is to use variable gradient filters or bracket your shots and merge post.

In every image there are certain elements required, first you need a solid focus point to draw the eye in. It provides a central pivot point where the viewer can roam the rest of the image but bring them back, without a focal point the eye will wander aimlessly, not really seeing what you want the viewer to see. My eye was drawn to the tree immediately. Once you have your focal point, everything else should revolve around that.

Space management of the frame is another consideration, an image can be "bottom loaded" where you have more foreground on the bottom, or "top loaded", more sky on the top. Typically I find "top loaded" images uninteresting and slightly disorienting. My preference with a good sky is to put the horizon just over the bottom third line, with the focal point on either the left or right bottom intersection of the third lines.

As I said in the beginning it's a good image, here's a few tweaks that encompass my suggestions above.

edit.jpg

Last edited:
I don't do much panorama's, pretty clueless on it but if that were mine all the photo is in the bottom of the page. You could re-crop it to say 10 x 20 and eliminate most of the sky which in my opinion doesn't ad anything. If you cant do a 10 by 20, try an 8x16. I have discovered the past few years that we do see in pano vision and most of my photo's I like better in panoramic.

Most reactions

Back