What's new

Little Things

Joined
Jul 14, 2011
Messages
4,173
Reaction score
2,551
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Selective landscaping is an interesting area of photography to me. Taking just a small slice of the landscape and focusing on the minute details.

It's pretty amazing how these plants find a home in the middle of the falls, growing on a rock entirely surrounded by water.

Wahkeena Falls, OR


Little Things by Majeed Badizadegan (Rotanimod), on Flickr




 
I keep wanting to brush those branches on the upper right away. The reflected glare on the rocks could have been tamed with a CPL filter. However, it is good that you're noticing the little details and giving them their own stage, so to speak. I can see a crop where you put the upper edge just below the branches, and the left edge at the little channel of water to the left of the pointy rock. Then that rock will balance with the one with the plants. Just a suggestion to consider.
 
I keep wanting to brush those branches on the upper right away. The reflected glare on the rocks could have been tamed with a CPL filter. However, it is good that you're noticing the little details and giving them their own stage, so to speak. I can see a crop where you put the upper edge just below the branches, and the left edge at the little channel of water to the left of the pointy rock. Then that rock will balance with the one with the plants. Just a suggestion to consider.

You know, this really makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the feedback.

I revisited the image and gave it a little more TLC. I wanted to keep the fern as part of the image.


Little Things Cropped by Majeed Badizadegan (Rotanimod), on Flickr
 
Love the edit.. no distractions now, just that lovely water, rocks and ferns... wonderful!
 
I like the second one best, although the first one also has some merit because the branches in the river are just what you often see. What you have captured here is what some landscape photographers call "intimate landscapes", a term that is often attributed to Eliot Porter. If you Google "Eliot Porter intimate landscapes", or just "intimate landscapes" you will find that is a genre in its own right.
_______________
WesternGuy
 
I like both. But fewer distractions in the second are easier on the eyes.
 
i liked the first a bit more, but both have their own merits; actually the hanging branches adds an element of naturality, i feel; further the beauty of the cascade is also lost.... and that dead fern leaf on the right hand side gives an added punch to the image
Regards :D
 
Those...rocks...and plants...are...POPPING OUT AT MEEEEEEE!

(so visceral)
 
I like the second as well, without the branches, and that dead fern on the top left really stands out a bit more with that crop. Nice!
 

Attachments

  • $Alaska022.webp
    $Alaska022.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
I like the second one MUCH better!! In the first one, I barely even noticed the ferns, my eye just swept right over them to the other green plants on the left edge of the photo. My eye was also kind of wandering up to the top, looking for the rest of the falls, after "brushing away" those limbs on the right.
In the edited version, I immediately go to the green plants in the foreground, and then my eye is drawn to that brown frond on the rock. Nicely done.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom