Loch Tay - looking for feedback :)

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was up in Perthshire, Scotland at the weekend, and saw this amazing scene. Had the family in tow, so couldn't stick around for too long :( But, I think I may have got lucky with the light :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts/suggestions for improvement :p

Gear - D70, 18-70mm, Calumet tripod, ND4 + ND8 filters to slow the shutter
Shooting data:
1. 18mm, f/11, 1/45sec (tripod)
2. 31mm, f/27, 1/4sec (tripod)
3. 31mm, f/6.7, 1/60sec (handheld)

43f8a7d93876aa7d.jpg

43f8a1a52b4d7fc5.jpg

43f8a1d32bebac97.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Leeko

www.alkureishi.com

I really like the tone and composition of these photos. Nice sky and lighting too. :thumbup:

wow..... i'm pretty much speechless at these shots, I think they speak for themselves

Andy

Fantastic shots! I wonder what are those black specks on the water surface in the distance though.. ducks? :)

Hi all,

thanks for all the kind comments :)

I'm not sure what the black specs on the horizon are - they're too big to be ducks; buoys, maybe?

What do folks think of the frame treatment? Any way to improve?

Thanks,

Leeko

www.alkureishi.com

the last one is my favourite! this is definitely my style of shooting. I do love the black dots.. which I think are the ducks in the very far background.

Very nice shots.
I prefer #3.
I don't care for the actual sun in #1. It's placed nicely, but the brightness is overwhelming and my eye always goes back to it.
#2 is very similar to #3, but the fg is a little busy.
The tree in #3 gives good depth and doesn't have all the distracting elements in the fg.
They are all beautiful.

cool shots, and wonderful compositions.. i like the first shot best.. the only critique I would suggest is the rule of thirds... I personally try to keep horizons close to the upper or lower third of the shot. not exactly on the third, but close.

I will also add, that I normal spot a centered horizon right away, but these shots are so cool, I didn't notice. What did you do to them in PS?

Raymond J Barlow said:
cool shots, and wonderful compositions.. i like the first shot best.. the only critique I would suggest is the rule of thirds... I personally try to keep horizons close to the upper or lower third of the shot. not exactly on the third, but close.

I will also add, that I normal spot a centered horizon right away, but these shots are so cool, I didn't notice. What did you do to them in PS?

exactly... I noticed it but I do like this here

What did you do to them in PS?

Actually, pretty much nothing - just cropped and minor levels adjustment. I altered the colour balance of #1 to match the other 2 (not sure why it came out different...).

The tone of the images is probably the result of using 2 ND filters stacked. They're nikon branded, but I'm not sure they're highest quality so probably impart a slight colour cast on the captured image. I'm not complaining tho!

Leeko

www.alkureishi.com

Most reactions

Back