London 7/09

subscuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Illinois, where even the dead get to vote
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took my kid to London last July as a combo graduation/18th birthday present. A lot of people knock the EF-S 18-200IS, but if you realize all superzooms have the same limitations, and don't expect more than it can deliver, it actually makes a pretty good, albeit somewhat hefty, walk around. Here's a couple of shots of the Life Guards and Irish Guard during the changing of the guard.

lifeguards.jpg

irishguard.jpg

As always, be honest, not rude...

They just look like snapshots. Sometimes that's enough. I just took some pics of my house to document some work I had done. I looked at the pics and I'm like these are boring. Then I thought to myself who cares, they succeeded in capturing what I wanted which was simple. Every picture doesn't need to be a work of art. Sometimes you just want to capture a place and moment in time.

The composition of the first one is a little strange. I feel a little cramped and there's a lot of dead space behind the second rider.

#2 the subject here is not clear, a lot of people seem to be in focus.

Shot 2 is the better, 1 is too tight, of all the places you could have gone in the UK, the only good thing about London is the photo galleries

Sometimes you just want to capture a place and moment in time.
Exactly. Sometimes people forget some pics are just memories, not art gallery offerings. I wanted to position myself a little better, but being a military procession, two actually, I was told I had to stay on the sidewalk. Otherwise I would have stood in the street where I could have moved around and gotten better angles. As far as the band, they passed very close and at the short FL I had to use + a max aperture of around 4 at that length, a blurred background would have been tough to do. A different crop of the Seargent alone would probably be better. Feel free to try a different crop on #1, and if you want, I can post the full size original for you to play with. I don't claim to be good, just lucky sometimes.

Shot 2 is the better, 1 is too tight, of all the places you could have gone in the UK, the only good thing about London is the photo galleries

We also went to Bath (the most beautiful city I've ever seen) and of course Stonehenge as well. I'd like to go back on my own sometime and see more of the UK.

Most reactions

Back