Long exposure composite photography:

MK3Brent

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been practicing this for a week now, and am just struggling.
It has been a great exercise in forethought and light temperature planning and remembering.

I take 20-30 second exposure of separate sections of a subject to give dramatic and depth lighting, and then piece them all back together in photoshop. The results are rather high dynamic range with very intriguing life to the image.

What I've found to work best for me, is pre planning how I want to light my subject, and just go small pieces at a time.

So, if you've never tried this... give it a shot. It's a lot of fun.
Here's one of mine. I've lost a lot of detail in the shadows... it's tricky lighting those areas and blending them later.

8031607727_c87e5cedfc_c.jpg

Last edited:
Does this require long exposure? Couldn't you do the same thing with just different exposures in general?

Does this require long exposure? Couldn't you do the same thing with just different exposures in general?
I guess it depends on how big of a subject you're shooting. The more light you expose on the subject, the more it spills into other areas of the photo. In my case above, if I used a shorter exposure with brighter light, it most likely would be large enough to cover say the front wheel and parts of the front frame. I'm still too new at this to know all the tricks and details, but so far I've found longer exposures with controlled light sources make it way easier.

:D

See how Eric Curry does them:

http://youtu.be/dylX-1dufGI

Last edited:
Those are wonderful images!! I love lightpainting. In fact, I did a lightpainting shoot with a McLaren MP4-12C and a Ferrari F40 just the other night. Here are two photos from that shoot.

The first one is 5 separate photos (one lighting the driver's side of the white car, one lighting the passenger side of the white car, one lighting the driver's side of the red car, one lighting the passenger side of the red car, and one with no lights to get a clean background with no light trails.) All lighting was done with the flashlight app on an iPhone. The second photo is made up of three images, one to light the white car, one to light the red car, and one for a clean background. Then, I manipulated it in PS to create the illusion of a rig shot. All images were done at a 30-second exposure at F/9.0 at a 20mm focal length.

High-res #1: Highlight of the Nightlife | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

High-res #2: In Pursuit | McLaren MP4-12C & Ferrari F40 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

-Gil

Attachments

• $8028148830_30f51c72b1_c.jpg
    $8028148830_30f51c72b1_c.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 80
  • $8029811672_474c9d4cde_c.jpg
    $8029811672_474c9d4cde_c.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Ohh, you're talking about light painting. I thought you were just referring to a long-exposure HDR effect just from normal exposures.

Yeah. 20-30s f/8 24mm 2.8 and a small pen light. I think the final combination was about 14 layers in PS with each layer consisting of 3-4 photos.

I was able to pull more detail out using a different layer blending style.

LAYER_STYLE.jpg

I like it overall, but not really crazy about the magenta cast, especially on the tires, tbh.

Yeah, I agree. It's from using two light sources that are LED and florescent. I will have to mask those areas differently or change the white balance to match.

Most reactions

Back