Long exposure: Sea & rocks

Volunteer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
this is my first photo posted for critique. I'd appreciate honest comments. I wouldn't like to get a bunch of comments like 'nice photo', my goal is for you to tell me what could've been done better.

About the photo; it's a long exposure taken in a city of Opatija (Croatia). I don't live near the sea and this was a rare opportunity to photograph long sea exposure. The light was bland and the sky grey.

Hey there, here's something - learn to accept comments as they are. Some people could believe your work is flawless but you won't know that since you're just wanting them to tell you how to be better. With that said, I like this shot. Maybe it could have been exposed better.

Hey there, here's something - learn to accept comments as they are. Some people could believe your work is flawless but you won't know that since you're just wanting them to tell you how to be better. With that said, I like this shot. Maybe it could have been exposed better.
They'de be so wrong. :D
Thanks for the comment. Exposed better in the sense that it should've been brighter?

I think that a bit more detail in some of the blackest black areas would help the photo. Maybe add some Fill Light in Lightroom or a ACR, and lighten up those black-blacks a tiny bit?

Maybe not such a tight crop on the left, I reckon a bit of space off the end of the big rock in the foreground would improve it.

I think that a bit more detail in some of the blackest black areas would help the photo. Maybe add some Fill Light in Lightroom or a ACR, and lighten up those black-blacks a tiny bit?

Needs just a lightening in shadows.... I find the crane a distraction but an easy fix to remove it..... I like your shot, water looks nice.

I tried this.

Maybe not such a tight crop on the left, I reckon a bit of space off the end of the big rock in the foreground would improve it.

You're right. Unfortunately, that's the original crop. :(

"nice photo"

Thanks.

Here's the result. I'm really pleased, you've been extremely helpful. Thank you all.

photo hosting

That second edit looks too bright, almost like a negative. I like the original better, and I see it looking better a lil darker.

I like the exposure of the 1st. It definitely looks better with the crane removed.

In Photoshop, I find the rocks too light. I'd do a dupe layer on soft light at 20-30% opacity, mask back in some of the details in the trees, extend then dump the crane.

You're right. Unfortunately, that's the original crop. :(

It's possible you could fake it by extending the image background to the left, pasting a chunk of the image across then carefully blending and cloning to get rid of the extra rock and smoothing the joint. It's not often you can get away with doing that but you might just with this photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back