Looking for a Good Macro Lens

Have you looked into reverse mount and/or tube extensions?

Well what's your budget? and what's super expensive to you?

Expect to spend around $600 for a (new) macro lens... Reversing rings and macro couplers can be had for $10.

Check out the used market if $5-600 sounds too high. KEH.com has tons of used stuff. Then also will generally have he best price to quality ratio. They tend to under-rate their gear, so you get stuff better than you were expecting for a good price.

They're mostly known for their film stuff, but they have a lot of digital equipment too.

Expect to spend around $600 for a (new) macro lens... Reversing rings and macro couplers can be had for $10.

Check out the used market if $5-600 sounds too high. KEH.com has tons of used stuff. Then also will generally have he best price to quality ratio. They tend to under-rate their gear, so you get stuff better than you were expecting for a good price.

They're mostly known for their film stuff, but they have a lot of digital equipment too.

I shoot with the D90 too and I bought the Tokina 100mm Macro from B&H and LOVE IT!! It's an off brand lens, but it's a fraction of the cost of a Nikkor macro and the reviews are great. The Tokina is $449 NEW, but they are hard to get because they are so popular and well priced, and with the tsunami in Japan and the inability to manufacture lenses, they may be getting harder to find and more expensive.

Try this link: Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro ATXAF100PRON B&H

Good luck.

I have D90 as well. I've bought Nikkor Micro 105mm VR, its a really good lens, 1:1 reproduction rate, and nano coating. It cost me $800. If you are looking little cheaper, there is 60mm, basically same lens, just as sharp, and has nano coating, but no vr, and you can get it for 500$. Check out some samples I took resent.

_DSC2965.jpg

_DSC2302.jpg

Thanks ukr4ever, what do you think about the Tokina 100mm Macro as mentioned above? I know the Nikon is probably a better lens but I can't spend $800. Have you done any comparisons? I really like the spider shot, really cool!

Look into the Tamron 90mm f2.8 , i own one and love it! and hear nothing but good things.

I've owned the Sigma 50mm, 105mm, and 180mm Macros. I would definately suggest the 105mm to a beginner. The 50mm I believe to be a little too short for bugs, the 180mm has a huge learning curve in that you have to be exactly still to get a handheld shot at 180mm and 14" away (or so). Other than those lenses, I would definately recommend the Tamron 90mm and Tokina 100mm (in that order). The Tamron has a reputation of being one of the sharpest (although in the Macro world, it's by a negligable amount). All of the Nikkors are great, but nano coating is a little useless in the world of macro. You won't get many ghosts or flares taking pictures of a spider. I'd say go for one of the Sigma's I mentioned or the Tamron. Sigma 105mm F/2.8 non-OS or Tamron 90mm will work great for a beginner, or anyone really.

Mark

Every time athread like this comes up I notice the newish Nikon 85 mm f 3.5 micro VR gets ignored. Is there a reason? It's less than $500.00 and has the same 1:1 working distance as the 105.

Actually, there's a whole inch difference in MFD between the 85mm and 105mm. The Sigma 180mm can be found quite cheaply compared to it's Nikon counterpart (200mm/4) and offers another 6 more inches than that. The Tamron 180mm is a good choice as well, but the AF is slow and noisy from whay I hear.

Mark

You can find a used tokina atx pro d 100mm f2.8 macro for around $350 used.

heres a few non 1:1 macro examples.

5313855174_173d649998_b.jpg

5545828462_d03e532077_b.jpg

5288895473_d2891c68f8_b.jpg

5176573004_1f94961585_b.jpg

The last shots focus distance shows .30 m in the exif data.​

Most reactions

New Topics

Back