AlexGavillan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

Just got to playing around with my new D3400 (kit lens) and snapped some pics of my daughter over the weekend. I'm just looking for some overall feedback and had a couple questions about what I am seeing after "editing" the photo. If anyone wants the RAW file, I'll happily provide.

Shot: 1/250 sec. F/7.1 55mm
ISO: 200
Cropped: 16:9 (I like my desktop backgrounds)

I see what I think is called "fringing" on the tops and bottom of the wood beam, as well as on the bottom of the sun shade behind my daughter. I think that's me messing with the shadows/highlights to much but not to sure. I also use the structure and sharpening tools as well. Also, and this could be because the picture is not meant to scale that big haha. Hooked up to conference room TV (running a meeting) and this is my laptops background, and when on a 70" TV it looks a bit grainy, or like I added to much sharpening/structure to the photo. Looks great on my 24"s haha.

As for my editing. I haven't taken the dive into Adobe LightRoom just yet, but that's next on the list. I am familiar with the product, just don't own it yet. To edit my photos, I use SnapSpeed on my iPhone. I know, not the best but the true colors on the screen do wonders compared to trying to edit on my laptop using Windows Photo Editor, and I have more options as well.

Any who, I welcome all the feedback :)

Alex

Attachments

• DSC_0023_1080.jpg
    DSC_0023_1080.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 94
The color fringing is generally called "chromatic aberration" and it is common with certain lenses. It is an inherent quality of the lens, and short of editing to fix it, there's little you can do when shooting. Some editing softwares can minimize it or eliminate it altogether.

Laptop displays are notorious for poor color rendering.

Overall: Your daughter's face has shadowing in the eyesocktets and under her chin. You could add some light, either with fill flash or a reflector to minimize the shadows.

The color fringing is generally called "chromatic aberration" and it is common with certain lenses. It is an inherent quality of the lens, and short of editing to fix it, there's little you can do when shooting. Some editing softwares can minimize it or eliminate it altogether.

Laptop displays are notorious for poor color rendering.

Overall: Your daughter's face has shadowing in the eyesocktets and under her chin. You could add some light, either with fill flash or a reflector to minimize the shadows.

Is there a compact flash you recommend? I haven't even begun researching "flashes" or anything related.
Looking here: On Camera Flashes | B&H Photo Video

use your popup flash!

or actually expose for her face. I'm sure you were in matrix mode and the camera took the ENTIRE scene into consideration when coming up with the exposure value -- which included huge areas of bright white, so it brought down the exposure to make them closer to gray overall. unfortunately this made your daughters face very dark.

5ABF6B8C-6313-411E-AA79-9EA8F26B56DC.jpeg

Snapseed is a pretty good app. I find myself using it when I don’t have my computer around. I did a quick edit in snapseed to bring up the exposure of her face.

Note that the power output level of the built-in, pop-up flash unit is adjustable in the appropriate camera menu.
Start with a low power setting, say 1/8 power.

In the D3400 menus that would be in the Shooting Menu - Flash Control For Built-in Flash.

use your popup flash!

or actually expose for her face. I'm sure you were in matrix mode and the camera took the ENTIRE scene into consideration when coming up with the exposure value -- which included huge areas of bright white, so it brought down the exposure to make them closer to gray overall. unfortunately this made your daughters face very dark.

DUH!!! haha didn't think about that since everything I have been reading is NOT to use it. And you're correct, this picture was in Auto (no Flash Mode) so it was using the matrix metering. Looking at it again, her face is underexposed for sure. I actually took the same pic, grabbed just her face, and when I used a histogram, there are NO highlights whatsoever, underexposed for sure.

View attachment 150352

Snapseed is a pretty good app. I find myself using it when I don’t have my computer around. I did a quick edit in snapseed to bring up the exposure of her face.

Very nice! Thank you!

Note that the power output level of the built-in, pop-up flash unit is adjustable in the appropriate camera menu.
Start with a low power setting, say 1/8 power.

In the D3400 menus that would be in the Shooting Menu - Flash Control For Built-in Flash.

I'll play around with that tonight!

Really have to say thank you! This has to be one of the best communities thus far.

Most reactions

Back