Looking for general comments and advice

tmclough

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been lurking here for awhile, and this is my first post.

As the title of the thread indicates, I'm looking for some general comments and advice on some of my landscape photos. To me, there almost seems to be something lacking in most of my landscapes. Maybe it's the time of day, maybe it's what's in or not in the picture, maybe it's the subject matter. Or, maybe it's just me.

All of these photos are SOOC jpegs, but I do have the RAW format originals as well, if any editing is recommended.

Anyway, here are some of my photos:

1. Green River, Greenfield, Massachusetts

Green River by Timothy Clough, on Flickr

2. Ottauquechee River, Vermont

Ottauquechee River by Timothy Clough, on Flickr

3. Black Mountain, New Hampshire

Black Mountain by Timothy Clough, on Flickr

4. Highland Pond warming hut, Greenfield, Massachusetts

Highland Pond warming hut in winter by Timothy Clough, on Flickr

PS: Feel free to look at and comment on any of my other landscapes at Landscapes - a set on Flickr

I like the first and the second images, they both have interesting compositions have a sharp focus, the second is my favorite.
the third one has a good focus and nice reflection but lacks something that makes the picture pop out
The fourth one does not do a thing for me

You are correct.

I think you saw/felt much more than what the camera could capture.
You might want to spend more time looking through the viewfinder to ensure it is getting what you think is there.

I like the first one best but even it lacks something of interest. The river is there but that's about it.

i noticed all these shots are taken from the same view point. try changing it up

i think the first one is nice, if you're not afraid to get a little dirty, why not go into the middle of the river and take a photo low and close to the water?

Landscapes are tough... what I see that's lacking in your posted photos is interesting light.... these photos look as though they were shot mid-day while you were out walking and looking for things to point your camera at. That being said, it is evident that you saw something interesting to shoot, and no doubt you paid attention to composition and aimed to capture an appreciable scene, but the fact is, you have to work with what nature is giving you, and what you achieved was less interesting than what you might have captured had you chosen a different time of day, shot when the weather was lousy, or gotten yourself muddy trying to find that unique perspective. I know, because I have hundreds of photos just like these, as do most enthusiast of nature photography....

It's all about the light, so yeah, the time of day was not the best. There's also too much in the frame in most of these. Concentrate on the most interesting part of a scene and leave out anything that does not enhance it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back