What's new

Looking for some advice on event and club photography :)

FanTail

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
London
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all :)

Very new to this forum, first post in fact! I'm looking for some help on prefered cameras for taking photographs at club and event nights. These nights have lots of moving lights and haze, dancing people and extra fun costumes! I've used nikon in the past and know how to use their cameras most, so I'm aiming towards buying one of their products, been looking at the D700 and D300 at the moment...
Any advice on ISO, aperture, shutter speeds, flashes would be greatly appreciated too!
When taking photos previously at events and gigs I've fond it hard to judge the balance between shutter speed and aperture, what happens mostly is I get blurred photos, or they're too dark - but then using flash gives really bizarre effects on the performers faces.
So any recommendations? Thank you!
 
First you need a full understanding how to use a DSLR.
 
A full understanding? I'm pretty competent on cameras having used them before, and know about the technical features, what everything means and what it all does... I think I may have not explained myself properly! :)
Just looking for advice from people who photograph at events such as these :)
 
Hey FanTail. Depending on what's going to be happening at these events, it's good to have a nice DSLR and a couple of lenses to work with. A wide angle lens is good, as well as a good zoom lens. I use a 15-85 as well as a 70-200. This way if I need to get a big group I'll use my wide lens, or if I want to hang back and stay out of the way I use my 70-200.

Using flashes can be complicated. Your best bet is to get a speedlight and bounce it off a ceiling, however during events there isn't always a ceiling to bounce off of. That's where learning about flash and lighting really helps. Just search google for Speedlight tips, bouncing flash, off camera flash etc and read as much as you can. Then go out and try the things you learned to see how they work for you. Make sure to try out these things well in advance to make sure you are prepared for your event! Good luck!

- Diddy
 
Then why are you asking what ISO and what aperture?
 
Ah brilliant. The events are DJ's and bands, mostly rave and swing nights. I'll try and find some way to have a play around with some lenses before buying... I'll have a look at the speedlight stuff as well. Yeah ceilings are a problem at the venue I'm at most times, its in a tunnel underneath a railway so the ceiling is way overhead. Bit too far to bounce any light off... I'll have a good read on the subject though, hopefully find the best way to do it!
Thank you!
 
And Schwettylens, I was asking because I was looking for some advice, as I am definitely an amateur photographer and I was hoping to be able to discuss these points with people on this forum, what people have found works for them and the like. As I also said, I'm looking into buying a camera too as I've been using other peoples in the past, wondering if people have recommendations :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom