Looking for some Medium Format advice

I got my 124G on Ebay for $160 shipped. A few people here have seen it, and it is in excellent condition. The light meter on mine just needed a new battery and it works fine. I started off metering w/ another SLR body, but the on board meter was always spot on, so I quit carrying the other body.

Just in case you aren't aware, www.keh.com is a great place to buy used photo gear, and they have a great selection of MF SLRs, from Bronica, to Mamiya, and Hasselblad.

You might also look into a Mamiya RZ67 system. They are a bit more expensive, but the front of the camera has a built in bellows which makes any lens a macro lens. They also take advantage of the 6x7 format, and if you so choose later on, can accept a digital back. (I know you said no to digital, but.... :p)

myopia said:
are the rolleiflex, rolleicord, yashica TLRs any different in size? this is an important detail for me. smaller=better (but usually more $).

basically, i dont want to spend more than $300 on a TLR.

I think the majority are pretty much the same size (weight may be different), the Mamiya TLRs with interchangeable lenses may be bigger and heavier (but then they do have advantages too).

With $300 you shouldn't have much problem getting a good TLR, some accessories and film too. For that money you can consider an SLR too like Matt suggested. If it's a bigger negative you're after then you might prefer a 6x7 or 6x6 SLR to a 6x6 TLR, but I'd choose the latter over a 6x4.5 SLR. Ultimately whether you go TLR or SLR is probably more to do with which is more useable and practical for you. Personally I like my TLRs because I can put one in my bag along with a 35mm or digital kit; if I were using a medium format SLR kit that would take up more space and weigh more. I still find using the reversed image on the TLR's ground glass a little odd, but as a result it makes me much more aware of composition.

ZaphodB said:
The 124G is definitely nice. Although what is considered to be one of the main advantages of the 124G (it's light meter) may or may not still work, and in fact may or may not be an important feature to you (for example I have one with a working meter but still prefer to use it with a handheld meter instead). Another thing that is good about the 124G is the Yashinon lens, which I understand is better than the Yashikor lens on some other Yashicas. Some have a Luxamar lens which may be the same as one of those two, but I can't remember which... Mitica knows about these things, maybe he can tell you :)

As usual, late to the discussion... :blushing:

Yeah, the Yashinon is a better lens than the cheaper Yashikor. The Lumaxar lens is in actuality a German lens (some think it might be a Zeiss) which was put on the earlier Yashicamats. I shoot one of these and I like it better than the Rollei 3.5 E with Planar. Mark Hama, whom worked at the Yashica plant claims that the Lumaxar is German.

Find one in good condition and you've got a gem. They can go for as little as $35.00 or as high as $110.00 on Ebay.

I bought a Mamiya C330 recently. It was my first MF camera. I love the image quality and the fact that you can change lenses (I think it may be the only TLR with interchangeable lenses) but I find it quite awkward to use handheld. I bought a grip for it but I prefer dumping it on a tripod and taking a real long time getting the shot right. Great camera will with a good reputation and you can find absolute bargains if you're lucky.

Very good choice. I looked for a C330 myself but at the time I couldn't find one for the right price and ended up buying a Yashicamat and an Autocord at different times instead. They're both great and I don't regret buying either, but I can imagine it would be nice to have a wide-angle lens on a TLR. Do you have just the standard lens or did you also get the wide-angle and/or portrait lens as well?

As for shooting hand-held, my approach to that is simple... I don't. :)
I'm sure some people do it with great success, but using TLRs handheld somehow doesn't seem right to me. Like you I prefer to take my time; I use a tripod or rest it on something solid, and spend a long time framing and wandering about with the lightmeter before taking the shot, usually with a cable release. A fair amount of time and effort spent, but it's usually worth it.

/\/\/\
That sounds exactly like what I do when I'm out with my C330. The obvious pain is that I have to lug a tripod around as well as the camera. I also use a cable release, how weird! It is a workflow that does have certain advantages however, as I'm sure you'll agree.

My C330 came with the standard 80 mm lens. I bought a 135 mm for it also. People complain about the cumbersome lens change procedure, but it's a breeze really, no reason to put anyone off buying the camera.

Ditto kubrick, the 330 is a big lug. I spent an afternoon recently with one around my neck (no grip) and while I love the pictures it gives me, my oh my, I felt like a hunchback by the end of the day! But the camera is a pure joy to shoot with.

Good camera very reliable. Also try looking at the Mamiya 645. Some advantages over the Bronica, But after youve had a look you should make the choice on which YOU prefer as they are both really good.

kubrick said:
I bought a Mamiya C330 recently. It was my first MF camera. I love the image quality and the fact that you can change lenses (I think it may be the only TLR with interchangeable lenses) but I find it quite awkward to use handheld. I bought a grip for it but I prefer dumping it on a tripod and taking a real long time getting the shot right. Great camera will with a good reputation and you can find absolute bargains if you're lucky.
I think that is the whole point with MF photography. It's slow and deliberate. You don't so much take a photo. as create an image. While a picture is the end result in both cases the rest is a whole different ball game...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back