Looking through my newest photo rag and

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
they had a vote on the best 10 photographers. All were terrific. But, I was curious regarding what camera they used since there is the endless argument of Nikon versus Canon or vice versa. Well, it turned out 5 used a Nikon and 4 used a Canon while one used another brand. I'll bet if the next rag had another vote it could very well be in reverse. Both Nikon and Canon are the best in my estimation...

Blah!! Its the photographer. Not the camera. AS someone said here in another thread. You'd be a bit worried ifsomeone complimented your camera on the shot you took with it.

yah Hobosyke but... on the other hand you should not compare a camera like for example Sony with Canon... there is a huge difference in the sensor quality and many many others... that can affect the photo quality. And I dunno if you know, on all photo contest, jury firstly choose photos which are technically perfect. Then they decide which one is better on topic, exposure, and so on... so you may take a very nice photo with HP point and shoot but it will be rapidly rejected for... for example a huge noise, while the picture which is not so good, taken with canon or nikon might win because it is in a better quality.

yes, the photographer takes the picture, but there are some things that you would be able to do with say a 1ds mk II that you could not with a holga (and vice versa :D )

the bottom line is, the creativity comes from the photographer, the ability to shoot well with what you have is from the photographer, but the quality of the photo (aka sharpness when in focus, resolution, contrast, etc.) has to do with the camera, although sometimes that has to do with the photographers knowledge and abilities with his own camera. as for technical quality, canon and nikon are leading. as for creative quality, no camera is over another.

mentos_007 said:
yah Hobosyke but... on the other hand you should not compare a camera like for example Sony with Canon... there is a huge difference in the sensor quality and many many others... that can affect the photo quality. And I dunno if you know, on all photo contest, jury firstly choose photos which are technically perfect. Then they decide which one is better on topic, exposure, and so on... so you may take a very nice photo with HP point and shoot but it will be rapidly rejected for... for example a huge noise, while the picture which is not so good, taken with canon or nikon might win because it is in a better quality.

I can take better photos on my " not so good sony " camera then I can on the 20D. Doesnt matter what camera you got in my opinion.:thumbup:

most control can give you a manual SLR for 20 bucks.
why don't people discuss lenses? they affect the pictures much more than camera bodies. if I had a shoe box it would work too, I would need a good lens, and I agree, it's the photographer. manual cams rule!!! (there are exceptions when it comes to high speed sports photograhpy but I don't do stuff like that).
just my ten cents.

The 10 best photographers of what? I can see Nikon and Canon winning out for sports, wildlife, etc..., but if you were to ask the best/most famous landscape and portrait photographers I would think that most would mention medium and large format brands. If you were to poll the most famous photographers of the 20th century they would say Leica, Rollei, Hasselblad, etc... Nikon and Canon cater to the masses: 35mm and digital SLRs and point-n-shoots. There are many other kinds of cameras out there.

Most reactions

Back