loosing quality with 90 rotation

photo_passion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings:

Maybe its a very basic question... maybe even stupid one...

I was taking pics of a person, both with camera horizontal and vertical...

horizontal = perfect image definition...

vertical = looks great before the image is rotated, very good image quality, but when rotating, then it has no space, and of course it will be shrinked and loose quality...

What can I do to avoid this loss of quality? I was taking pics in large size with a D60...

If I choose the small pic size would it be better to rotate?

Is there anything I can do to take this pictures vertically and maintain good image definition after rotation?

This sounds like an issue with your computer/software rather than the actual camera. What program are you using to rotate the images? I just rotated some of my images in Photoshop, and the image quality is not affected.

photoshop...

actually they appear already rotated when I open them...

but there is always space issues right? a face before rotating will have much more space than after rotation... so face gets smaller and all the nice details are gone...

Well if i zoom it back to large size, of course the quality is still there... but my issue is how to take a pic vertically, rotate it, and still have fine details of eyes, lips, hair, skin...

I'm not sure I understand... Provided you didn't resize the image, a photo of a face should take up the same amount of space (both in terms of pixels and file size) regardless of which way it is rotated. Is the file size the same before and after the image is rotated?

Are you talking about actually rotating the image? Or cropping it so what was once portrait orientation is now cropped in landscape orientation? This is the only way to lose any resolution in the process.

The solution is to think before you press the shutter, or if in doubt take 2 pictures one in portrait and another in landscape.

Photoshop has an issue. Does not matter vertical or horizontal. When working in photoshop on an image that is not at full 100% it's best to work in a fraction of 100% (example: 75% 50% 25%) Otherwise even though as you stated:

Well if i zoom it back to large size, of course the quality is still there...
the image will not look as good on screen as it could when using a more random percent such as "fit to screen"

That's my take on your problem as far as I can tell. Not sure why photoshop does that but it has had this issue as far back as 4.0 and 5.0.

In addition to my above post...

if you re-size the image to dimensions that fit your screen when set to 100% you will no longer see the photoshop flaw, but you also have a smaller image.

I might add that this is not just a symptom that plagues photoshop... page maker, harvard graphics and I am sure there are others also exhibit this annoyance.

I think most of us here can agree that we all need to know what the end product of these images is and how they will be used. Are they intended for on screen viewing? Printing? or what?

I get the very same thing when I rotate an image to portrait aspect from landscape. The simple reason is that computer screens are in landscape aspect ( and thus your photoshop window as well). As a result when you rotate the image you often need to change the viewing size of that image otherwise it will look odd. This is because photoshop tends to keep the same % view of the image for the rotated result. In addition you might get the impression that quality is lost because you have to view it at a smaller size to fit it into the window. This is not the case, as you already saw the quality is still there when you view at 100%.
Just change the viewing size to a suitable scale so that you can edit the image clearly on the screen - checking closer as and when needed.

Further - as far as I know - fit to screen works rather well, it won't change the aspect ratio (ie make one side longer or shorter than the other) to fit it in the screen, it will just set the % view to the largest size it can before one boarder hits the edge of the viewing window

Most reactions

Back