Lost among soft bubbles

shapencolour

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Pictures taken with Sony A7R2, A7R4A , Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8 Mk2 New for Sony FE
16335 Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100f2.8 II new.jpg
16356 Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100f2.8 II new.jpg
16382 Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100f2.8 II new.jpg
20053 Trioplan 100f2.8 II New.jpg
20058Trioplan 100f2.8 II New.jpg
20064 Trioplan 100f2.8 II New.jpg
20065Trioplan 100f2.8 II New.jpg
20066 Trioplan 100f2.8 II New.jpg

Beautiful! How are you getting that perfectly round Bokeh?

"Soap bubble" highlights are the particular feature of the Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8 Mk2 lens. Unlike any other lens that I know of.

I have a limited edition Titanium copy (Serial # 041) with Leica M mount. I generally stop down to at least f/8.0 or more and avoid specular highlights, but I have to say that your photos illustrate the soap bubble effect better than the examples in the user's manual!

I have a limited edition Titanium copy (Serial # 041) with Leica M mount. I generally stop down to at least f/8.0 or more and avoid specular highlights, but I have to say that your photos illustrate the soap bubble effect better than the examples in the user's manual!
Thank you. Congratulations on having titanium copy.It is rare ,beautifull and expensive :). I usually use my 100/2.8 Trioplan wide open,very often with extension tube to maximize bubbles in the background.f8 is best to get hazy,moody pictures,which I also like to take sometimes.

Thank you.To maximize bubbles I use this triplet lens wide open, often with extension tube (16mm) to allow for closer focusing.Sunny days with harsh,unpleasant lighting are the best.Also critical is to find a background with mixture of strong sunlight and deep shadows plus focusing on an foreground object.

"Soap bubble" highlights are the particular feature of the Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8 Mk2 lens. Unlike any other lens that I know of.
Yes.100/2.8 Trioplan - old or contemporary is the best to produce bubbles. Old 50/2.9 and new 50/2.8 Trioplans do not render bubbles that clearly.Trioplan 35/2.8 is the least "trioplanish".
There are many other old triplets or 4/3 Sonnars that can produce bubbles in certain conditions.The cheapest and the most "trioplanish" is Meyer Optik Primotar 135/3.5 - not a triplet,but 4/3 Sonnar,afaik.

Sony A7R2+Meyer Optik Primotar 135/3.5,m42,adapted :
16251 Primotar 135.jpg
16262 Primotar 135.jpg

Lovely work! I get this effect with a custom mount Pentacon av lens that I found on eBay. The trioplan is on my wish list as the pentacon is a bit fussy to use but it was a bargain price so will suit for now. Is yours a vintage adapted lens or from the recent revival of the lens?

Not to hijack your post but here’s one I took with the pentacon. The soap bubbles are not as pronounced. Damn it now you have me thinking about the Trioplan again!

Sun shower by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Lovely work! I get this effect with a custom mount Pentacon av lens that I found on eBay. The trioplan is on my wish list as the pentacon is a bit fussy to use but it was a bargain price so will suit for now. Is yours a vintage adapted lens or from the recent revival of the lens?

Not to hijack your post but here’s one I took with the pentacon. The soap bubbles are not as pronounced. Damn it now you have me thinking about the Trioplan again!

Sun shower by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Thank you :). Standard Pentacon lenses - both for 135mm (50mm) and medium 6x6 format (80mm),being simple optical constructions with poor coatings, are able to produce bubbles too,though not as good as Trioplans.

My copy of Trioplan 100/2.8 is the newest one (New Mk2),with Sony FE (mirrorless) mount. I have it for about one year now.There was also New Mk1 released a few years ago and the range of old Trioplans manuactured from late 50ties up to early 80ties.All new Trioplans are produced with most contemporary mounts and the old ones were manufactured in many popular mounts of those times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back