Love, War, and Chess.

Replic said:
They're called pawns internationally last I checked.

Thank you Replic. I thought so, but then you know that sudden fear that grips you after the words have already come out of your mouth? I hate that. I don't like looking stupid. :oops: :roll:

Artemis, like several other people have said, these shots are pretty inspiring. I of course, as you can guess, do not have a chess set lying around the house, but maybe one day. The series is great and I look forward to seeing more of it.

As I type this I'm prepping a wooden chessboard shoot, in honor of this series. I'll let you guys know how it comes out. I have a couple of shots I haven't seen done on the board yet in mind.

Wow...Im an actually really really surprised...I have inspired you guys? Wow...thanks...youve put a smile on my face, and now a will. Today, I shall sit and plan a new shoot, get it picture perfect!

Thanks...Thanks again to you all....wow....I inspired some people....Thanks!

Replic said:
They're called pawns internationally last I checked.

Not quite. It seems they are referred to as pawns, farmers and foot soldiers.

By the way, nice pictures. I've done similar ones myself, being a huge chess fan. Though, I can't play with glass boards, I get the pieces mixed up! :eek:

Artemis, are you a big fan of chess? May sound like a dumb question but I guess enjoying taking photos of chess boards doesn't necessarily mean you like the game. If you do, what's your rating?

Well, a photo shoot with controlled lighting and a sheet background ( an hours worth) produced nothing but ugly pictures and an angry me. I guess we'll have to wait until another time before I produce good chess shots.

And if there are any big fans of chess here, e-mail me- we'll start an e-mail correspondence game.

E-mail correspodence gaming? How does that work?

There are plenty of nice online chess clients, maybe that's an option.

Nah. E-mail is the way to go. In e-mail chess, a move is made once a day per person- you get major planning per move. The only rule is that you're not allowed to have a computer analyze the board. The point of it is for you to have a problem to ponder and plan out. I played a couple of games and school a couple people, lost a few myself, but you generally see less basic mistakes or idiotic moves.

E-mail me if you want to start a game. It's all done via notation (e4, Kc8, etc etc.)

Bokeh said:
Artemis, are you a big fan of chess? May sound like a dumb question but I guess enjoying taking photos of chess boards doesn't necessarily mean you like the game. If you do, what's your rating?

I love chess, but im not a player...infact Ive hardly ever won many games, Im a fast thinker, not a slow planner.

Although, if yah wanna game, id still love to play yah!

Artemis said:
I love chess, but im not a player...infact Ive hardly ever won many games, Im a fast thinker, not a slow planner.

I'm the same way! I don't have the patience to play long chess games... But that's exactly what's so cool about chess is there are games from 5min all the way up to no time limit. I play FAST chess games. I used to play 3min games a LOT on yahoo (anything faster than that and network speed starts to become more of a factor than skill). I got where I could beat most 1500 level players and many 1600's. I was rated in the low 1600's at one time, and the highest guy I ever beat was a 1900 level. He was really smug, and got totally silent when I raped his queen. I think he'd beat me most of the time, but it was satisfying to shut him up. I'm not this way, but I noticed a LOT of guys who are like 1600 or above are HIGHLY, highly arrogant. I tried to play a lot of guys who would say stuff like "you're not worthy" and stuff. :roll:

Then I started playing every day and got pretty darned good and started smoking them.

Most reactions

Back