Macro Footage of Flames in Slow Motion (6400 fps)

Jens Heidler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
have you ever wondered how inflamed gas looks like in the macro perspective? I revealed the hidden beauty of fire using frame rates between 6400 and 60.000 images a second. Due to the high frame rates, the resolution of the images was limited to 1000x1000 pixel at 6400 fps and 300x150 pixel at 60.000 fps. I hope you like the quality of the images anyway;) Have you every tried to get nice fire photos or videos? If yes, please share your captures with us:)

Nice if I had not seen the title or the can I would have thought of a expanding star system

Pretty cool stuff there! I'm dropping a couple turbos and some N2O in my 80D to make it do 60,000 fps instead of the 7?

Very cool. I love watching your videos. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I have tried photographing fire. The results were not so good. But, in my defense it was about 2 months after getting my first DSLR. Armed with better gear and much more knowledge, I should give it another try.

This is an example of my very first attempts at flames. Nothing to compare to this thread. Your videos inspire and always impress me. Looking forward to your next!

Split Flame 2.jpg

The footage was taken with a macro lens at a range of 0,5X - 1X magnification, so I guessed "macro" is correct?

The footage was taken with a macro lens at a range of 0,5X - 1X magnification, so I guessed "macro" is correct?

The threshold for macro is 1:1, i.e. at least life size. The implication is that if you had a large enough sensor, you could take a macro pic of a complete human face. There is some variation in the definition and some view less than 1:1 as macro too. For me, macro has to be at least 1:1. Nonetheless impressive, particularly if you were able to capture this at 1:2. Looking at the footage subjectively the flames seemed quite large, certainly larger than twice an 80d (APSC) sized sensor.

Most reactions

Back