macro for A6000

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are people with A6XXX's using for macro?

The most recent discussion was:

"Extension Tube on a6000 won't Focus"
"Extension Tube on a6000 won't Focus"

"donde" ended up using a Batis 85mm f1.8 on an extension tube which turned out ok. From what I have heard over a few years, I think most people start with a 50mm f1.8 lens and a short extension tube for something like an a6000. About the only advice I can give is that most people who try to start with a zoom tend to find them not sharp enough for real macro work (around 1:1 reproduction).

I have an old Minolta Celtic 55 macro that I manual focus. I want a e mount auto focus macro. I've seen a Sony FE mount will that work on my A6000?

[2018-12-10: What I wrote originally was so garbled I doubt if anyone was able to understand what I was trying to say. My apologies to all. I have re-written almost all of it, and added a bit of new info.]

If you have been doing Macro before, then you probably understand the issues. Autofocus for true macro pictures is "a problem". Your camera will probably default to focus on the nearest part of an object without regard to its depth. If you are photographing something flat, like postage stamps, then it could work, but anything with substantial 3D shape will be mostly out of focus. Instead, you will pick a focus that is more in the middle of the object and try to cover it all using depth of field from a small aperture. Sony has a 30mm F3.5 Macro lens specifically for the APS-C type cameras (including your A6000). The angle of view is 35mm equivalent to about 45mm, so working distances are very close.

Of course to photograph living things, then autofocus is often the only practical approach. If you are trying to photograph bugs and live, moving objects, then to avoid scaring them away you need some distance. You have a 55mm lens which on APS-C has the angle of view of a 82.5mm lens, which would be minimal for this use. Getting another one with autofocus is a possibility, though if you get a new one that isn't a macro lens, you might need extension tubes with electrical contacts -- which are available.

Sigma has a 70mm f2.8 "Art" Macro lens on the E-mount, but it is more expensive -- around $570 US, and I do not know anything about it. But Sigma has a good reputation. That would give you your 105mm equivalent, and with better depth of field, which will be good for Macro.

"Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Lens for Sony E"
B&H # SI7028SO, MFR # 271965
"Sigma70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Lens for Sony E"

Sony also has a 90mm Macro FF lens which is around $1,000 US:

"Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens"
B&H # SO9028, MFR # SEL90M28G
"SonyFE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens"

Last edited:
I've never done macros with my 6300, but if I did, I'd use the Nikon F adapter I have for it and use my Nikon / Nikkor gear.

If you have been doing Macro before, then you probably understand the issues. Autofocus for true macro pictures is "a problem". You want to use small apertures, and then you have to decided where to focus and how much depth of field you want. Your camera will probably default to focus on the nearest part of an object without regard to its depth. Of course to photograph living things, then autofocus is often the only practical approach. Sony has a 30mm F3.5 Macro lens specifically for the APS-C type cameras (including your A6000). But to get the same magnification as your 55mm lens, you will have to use it even closer. If you are trying to photograph bugs and live, moving objects, then it will be more difficult because working that close will scare them away. You would be better off with a 50mm which might focus close enough, or need a short extension tube. You can buy special extension tubes with the electrical contacts to support the autofocus.

Sigma has a 70mm f2.8 "Art" Macro lens on the M-mount, but it is more expensive -- around $570 US, and I do not know anything about it. But Sigma has a good reputation.
I have a Nikkor 105 f/2.8 micro that I use with my D7500. I'm looking for something like that for my A6000. I mostly sneak up on bugs and spiders. I like to use autofocus continuous. I realize that this is not macro photography per say. It is just close up of living bugs and things.

I know it will not have autofocus when used on a Sony, but I thought you owned the very high-quality Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S lens? That lens works pretty well for close-ups when an extension tube is used, or when a 1.4x TC is added to the lens...making for a pretty close-focusing 420mm lens...

I have an old Minolta Celtic 50mm macro that I have adapted to my A6000. It's OK but it takes a lot of time and I would rather have AF. Sony makes a 50mm macro e mount that I'll keep an eye out for used. I shot this today of a piece of fake pine Christmas decoration covered with ice. I had to shoot it at ISO 6400. Thank the Lord for Neat Image NR.

Ice on fake pine final-2 by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

Actually, after a bit more research, the Sigma 70mm looks really good. But that price . . .

DPreview TV just posted a short test of the Sigma 70mm (see above) on a Canon mount. The big issue they made a point of was the lack of image stabilization. The a6000 won't have that either, so the test should give you a good idea of how it performs. They will eventually test the Sony mount version too, but it doesn't sound like you'll learn anything new from it.

"DPReview TV: Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art lens review"
Published by DPReview, Jan 5, 2019

What are people with A6XXX's using for macro?
When I had my A6000 I used the Sony 90mm 2.8 and it worked great..... which I still use that lens, it's amazing for macro work and portraits...one of the sharpest lenses ever made.

Most reactions

Back