Macro Lens

PhotoPig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking to get a macro lens for my Digital Rebel 300D in the 100mm range. I looked around online, and see that Canon has outstanding quality in that range ($450+US), Sigma has excellent glass at 105mm 2.8($350+), and Ive read that Vivitars 100mm 3.5 ($130) is even rated ok (at bottom of the pile, but still rated as "good"). Im looking to use the lens without flash, for amature photography of insects, etc. Was wondering your opinions. Im on a budget so Canon is out of the picture. Is the Vivitar really all I need.....or go with the Sig at 2.8?

As always,
THANX!

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. - Winston Churchill

Hmm... Between the Sigma and the Vivitar I'd take the Sigma. More money but better lens. I shoot a Sigma 75-300 Apochromatic lens with pretty good macro (1:2) albeit is slow compared to the 100/2.8. Yet I get very nice results.

I too would opt for the Sigma. The Vivitar would probably serve you well in good light, but those times you're in fairly dim light the extra aperture will help in focusing immensely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back