Macro Lense Question

Nightsblood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking to pick up a macro lense here pretty soon and its running between the Tamron 90mm and the Canon 100mm. THey seem to rate pretty close to one another with the Canon maybe a hair better.

The Tamrons a little cheaper and it comes with a lense hood. The Canons more expensive and youve got to purchase the hood separate from the lense, a $45 deal. I think thats a pretty petty thing for Canon to sell apart from the lense.

My question is, will there be a big noticable difference in the 10mm difference between the two? If not, other than resale value, I cannt see spending the added cost of the Canon.

You won't see much difference with 10mm difference between 90 and 100mm - working distances will also be about the same as well.
Honestly both are well built and sharp lenses so which ever you go for will be a good choice.

Ive read most of the reviews and the two lenses come out about the same. THats why the decision is difficult. I was just kinda afraid if I got the 90mm, I would be missing something over the 100mm. If you guys dont think I will, then Ill probably go with the Tamron. Ive got other Tamrons and I really like them.

Plus, you get the hood as well. THat really rubs me the wrong way about the Canon. $45 for a hood that apparently the lense is not much use without it. Petty, I think.

If you want something else to throw in - the Canon 100mm with lens hood and tripod collar comes to about the same cost as the Sigma 150mm - which has both hood and collar included.
I don't know if the Tamron 90mm has or needs a collar to function well.

Just thought I would help a bit :)

Honestly macro prime lenses are some of the best out there for sharpness and quality of build and most are able to deliver top range results - you just have to train the monkey holding the camera right ;)

Most reactions

Back