macro mode same quality as other modes?

hp60035

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, i have a canon powershot s70 and when trying to take macro pictures i have all but given up on the s70's autofocus. It never seems to focus correctly and i always seem to resort to manual focusing, but along with manual focusing it automatically takes the camera off of macro mode. If i correctly focus a close up picture using say manual mode instead of macro mode will it produce the same picture in manual mode as it would have in macro mode? Are there any differences between the two modes? or is macro mode just supposed to be a convenient way to focus close up subjects? thank you.

Macro mode allows the lens to move further away from the sensor, allowing you to focus nearer the object. In normal use this wouldn't be helpful because you lose infinity focus, so they make you press a button so the camera knows what you want it to do/focus on. When you're in manual mode it'll let you glide from the closest focusing distance of the macro mode to infinity focus without any problems. Probably a slight jerk is all you'll notice.

awesome, thats what i figured, thank you for clarifying.

Most reactions

Back