Macro with a 50mm??

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can this be done or do you have to actually have a macro lense?

You can take nice close ups with the 50, but nothing like with a macro... nothing.

Wow. I'm gonna have to try it out...

Ron
A macro of a fig...go fig ure!

Sorry, I could not resist :mrgreen:

I recommend you do try it.

I am personally using the reversal ring from nikon with my 50mm 1.8. It is far from perfect as there is no auto focus to be heard of, but it is exactly what you need if you have the macro itch, but don't have the $500+ to scratch it with.

Here are some of my macro shots:
Photos by Brian Gaideski: Macro Cacti Part 2
Photos by Brian Gaideski: Macro Cacti
Photos by Brian Gaideski: The Bees

I have a macro lens and it does not autofocus very well at all. I always manual focus when shooting macro.

Mommy22

You have 4 basic choices for macro. All work and all have advantages and disadvantages.

1. Dedicated Macro lens. Advantages: Dedicated Macro lens, no muss no fuss and usually an outstanding portrait lens as well. Disadvantages: usually the most expensive choice.

2. Reversing ring. Advantages: Cheap and easy. Disadvantages: more potential to do damage to the back end of the lens if you are moving around.

3. Macro tubes. Advantages: Usually comes in a set of 3 different sizes that can be used individually or together. Great for moving around with for things like bugs etc. Disadvantages: More expensive than reversing ring.

4. Bellows. Advantages: Wider macro range from 1-1 and closer. Focusing is achieved by adjusting the bellows. Disadvantages: Not really designed to use with moving things like bugs etc. Excellent for static things like watch works etc. Good bellows will run about the same as Macro tubes or more depending on length and features. A tilt/shift bellows is quite costly.

Easiest way to decided on the method you want to use with your 50mm lens is to know what types of macro you want to do and then choose the best option for that type that you can afford.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back