Making large Canon purchase: need tips and advice

50 1.4 over 50 1.2

After-market batteries are fine.

17-40 is good enough.

that and 62 dollars for an extra canon battery, when 3rd party ones are typically just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Do the 3rd party batteries have the same electronics for battery life reporting and do they report remaining battery life accurately? I recall reading something that they don't, but I could be mistaken.

I'm not sure how accurate they are at reporting battery life. Truth be told I almost never run the batteries dry.

That being said, even so, they last forever (in my experience) and are 1/5 the price.

Also, it's nice to see you back InTempus

50mm 1.2 vs 1.4

Is there any reason besides cost? or is the glass essentially the same (the 1.2 decision was made for shooting video.. if that adds any bearing)

My other reason to have a proclivity for it - I used it at a wedding last year (rented) and shot this video with essentially no setup and in really low light.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpopN83tC4U]YouTube - Tara & Jim: Carrossel[/ame]

I loved everything about the lens =)

(EDIT: one take, and it is unedited aside from adding music and compression)

Rent the 1.4 and see if you like it. I actually prefer the look over the 1.2

...instead of the 50 1.2 take a very serious look at the 85mm 1.2

I've owned both the 50mm f/1.2 (I still have it) and the 50mm f/1.4 (recently sold it). Honestly, the 1.4 is a GREAT lens for the money and honestly, in some situations is actually superior to the 1.2. The 1.2 can have trouble focusing and keeping focus up close at it's minimum focus distance. In terms of image quality, test charts will tell you the 1.2 is better with CA around the edges but in my real world experience the 1.4 really didn't look any different than my 1.2. As a matter of fact, I did a shoot off with them side by side and I couldn't tell you which lens took what picture unless I looked at the EXIF data.

I only kept the 1.2 because it's an L lens, not because it noticeably out performed the 1.4.

Also, the 1/3 stop of light (1.2 to 1.4) isn't going to make that big of a difference in your low light shooting ability. It's not like going from f/2.8 to f/4.

Anyone know a good place with solid information on how the forthcoming 70-200 L IS USM is? Can only find the press release.

You might try calling a big retailer like B&H or Adorama. They will have it as soon as anyone else.

Do you really need the 50mm 1.2?

Here's a video made by wedding videographer, Jason Magbanua and his crew.

Perya (Town Fair) - a Canon 7D Short on Vimeo

He used the 50mm 1.4 for some of the shots.

I attended one of his talks and he said that sharpness is not a big issue for him because subjects move in the video. Viewers won't be pixel peeping on videos. In fact, he said he mostly uses the 50mm 1.8 because it's very light to carry.

As for the 70-200mm, you might want to wait for the 70-200 2.8 IS II version. Yeah, call the peeps at B&H to ask when it's coming.

50mm 1.2 -- Im going take the 1.4 for a spin. My filmmaking plans go a slight bit further then just weddings, and even that small extra amount of light can add more flexibility. The cost isnt the biggest issue, though a grand is nothing to sneeze at.

Insurance: I dont have a figure yet, it will be handled through my company. Will follow up with a figure for you if still interested. (need final list etc etc)

70-200 mk2: I have already put this as the lens to get, my inner camera nerd cannot resist - the release date is outside my initial purchase timeline (this week) so I wont really worry about it untill I have a job it would be a necessity for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back