Manual Focus Help

jeremyamayora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a d3100 and a lens that doesn't have a motor. So i have to manual focus it. Its a great lens and im some what good a focusing it in bright light. but in low light i suck is there are way or tips anyone has to manual focus in low light as well as just using manual focus all together? Thanks

jeremyamayora said:
I have a d3100 and a lens that doesn't have a motor. So i have to manual focus it. Its a great lens and im some what good a focusing it in bright light. but in low light i suck is there are way or tips anyone has to manual focus in low light as well as just using manual focus all together? Thanks

Any help

Check to see if your focus confirmation light will work. It's the circular green dot in the viewfinder, it lights up when you have achieved focus.

Have you read the user's manual?

Your D3100 has a feature that helps you focus manually. (hint: page 144 - Rangefinder)

Even auto focus has trouble in low light. So you can use a flashlight to light up what you want to focus on when there is not a lot of light. Focus, turn off the flashlight, release the shutter.

As Mike mentioned, the AF 50 mm f/1.8D sends (D)distance information to the camera's auto focus module. The D3100 just doesn't have a way to turn the focus ring on the lens, and you have to do that. But the D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D3100/D5000/D5100 will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus has been achieved manually at the selected viewfinder focus point.

Note: Any AF, f/x.xD lens works the same way.

Just keep practicing. Also a motor with high ISO capabilities helps. But I would definitely recommend more practice.

Just keep practicing. Also a motor with high ISO capabilities helps. But I would definitely recommend more practice.

How does having a motor (wtf? Do you mean body?) with high ISO capabilities help when manual focusing through the viewfinder? This makes no sense.

if you absolutely have to use auto focus in low light...get a small laser pointer and shine it on your subject ( not the eyes !!!) and let your auto focus focus on that.
Personally I think manual focus is much better in low light

For using auto focus in low light the D3100 has an AF-Assist light built-in.

The AF-Assist light does not funnction in manual focus mode. But, the OP could sure go to the AF-Assist menu ansd set it to on and see if it lights up with the AF 50 mm f/1.8D mounted.

Jesse11 said:
if you absolutely have to use auto focus in low light...get a small laser pointer and shine it on your subject ( not the eyes !!!) and let your auto focus focus on that.
Personally I think manual focus is much better in low light

I can only manually focus.

Yes. But other people that also have the D3100 and AF-S lenses also read the thread.

In fact most of the people that visit TPF and read the threads aren't members.

KmH said:
Yes. But other people that also have the D3100 and AF-S lenses also read the thread.

In fact most of the people that visit TPF and read the threads aren't members.

Okkayy. I guess.

IT worked great guys thanks ill keep practicing and willl post pics this weekend thanks

Most reactions

Back