Manual Focus lens on a Mirrorless?

davidharmier60

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
It seems to me that the screen on the mirrorless would be easier to use than the viewfinder on a DSLR.

Thinking of getting an FD to E Mount adapter. My 50 1.4 would make it a much better around the house camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Are you talking about using the rear LCD screen vs an optical viewfinder for manual focusing accuracy?

Hmm, not so sure about that ... I had a Sony A100 with OVF and a NEX-5 with LCD ... I preferred the OVF for manual focus over the LCD, without using any of the electronic aids (magnification or peaking).

NEX-5 is What I have. The XTi beeps even when I change the lens to manual focus.
Perhaps it would be the better choice.

I upgraded to a NEX-6 for the built in EVF, which is pretty good to view through ... like my A77m2.
Using an EVF and focus peaking really makes it easy to manually focus.

I got the NEX-5 as a gift with an 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens.
I Got a killer deal on the XT1, a kit zoom and a Quantary 70-300

The FD lenses are doing nothing at all. That's what made me think of the Sony first.

For the Fuji, manual focus, viewfinder, turn on focus peaking highlights . You can see it better in viewfinder as opposed to LCD .

What Fuji?
Sony NEX-5
Canon XTi

You can use the back screen on a dslr in "live view" mode and focus there also.
I personally don't like focusing on the back screen, as light/sun glare can make it difficult to use. But if you have control of the light, the back screen should be fine.

My DSLR doesn't seem to have a live mode. Perhaps it's too old.

It seems to me that the screen on the mirrorless would be easier to use than the viewfinder on a DSLR.

Thinking of getting an FD to E Mount adapter. My 50 1.4 would make it a much better around the house camera.

I certainly find any of my old mirrorless cameras easier to manual focus via EVF than using my DSLR's OVF.
I think my old manual focus SLR was easier than the mirrorless, (due to the split viewfinder & microprisms) but focus these days is far more critical, and the film shots may not have been good enough for todays uses.

My mirrorless cameras are too old to offer focus peaking, but do give a quickly accessible & easily adjustable magnification. Outdoors the EVF is easier than the rear screen and generally about as accurate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back