Martin Schoeller Inspired

These look nice. I would clean up under her eyes a bit more on these shots, esp. if they are model headshots. You want her skin to look flawless, although not made of rubber, haha. Maybe a touch brighter around the edges too.

Also, whats the flare over her right eye in the second shot? A bit distracting.

I really like the razor sharp focus on her eyes though, and the shots look nice and natural. Good work!

These look nice. I would clean up under her eyes a bit more on these shots, esp. if they are model headshots. You want her skin to look flawless, although not made of rubber, haha. Maybe a touch brighter around the edges too.

Also, whats the flare over her right eye in the second shot? A bit distracting.

I really like the razor sharp focus on her eyes though, and the shots look nice and natural. Good work!

I really didn't do anything to her skin in these. I'll do some stuff under her eyes, but I need a lot more practice with retouching skin. The flare was because I was holding an ND filter over my lens and I wasn't completely flush with the lens so a small amount of light leaked in :grumpy:

Thanks for the comments!

The first one is pretty close, but the shot's not tight enough and the catchlights aren't quite there -- not even enough top-to-bottom to give a real cat's eye look.

I kind of dig what happens to the catchlight when she tilts her head, though.

I realize these are "inspired by" and not intended to be an exact copy, of course.

You have not made her look ugly enough to remind me of Martin Schoeller's work. And yeah, that flare in the second shot...ugh...that looks like an accident. I'm not sure what to make of the clownishly overpainted lips...is that some kind of a commentary on modeling and makeup or something? Your subject reminds me of the late amy Winehouse's look, only your subject appears not nearly so skanky as Ms. Winehouse typically appeared.

You also need to brighten the BG.
Why? Not every headshot needs a perfectly white background...and his close up work has this type of background lighting.

You have not made her look ugly enough to remind me of Martin Schoeller's work. And yeah, that flare in the second shot...ugh...that looks like an accident. I'm not sure what to make of the clownishly overpainted lips...is that some kind of a commentary on modeling and makeup or something? Your subject reminds me of the late amy Winehouse's look, only your subject appears not nearly so skanky as Ms. Winehouse typically appeared.
Yea the flare was an accident, it really bugs me. She came with hair and makeup already done. I agree on the lipstick..I hated it, but there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Shot my friend earlier. I think I got the DOF right as well as the cat eyes

Sam by Michael Fornataro Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Whoever did her makeup ... her bottom lip is seriously overdrawn... or whatever you want to call it. Looks very strange to me.

Most reactions

Back