Memories of the City by the Bay

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just taking a trip down memory lane here...

1. San Francisco, shot 8 years ago yesterday, and post-processed a few days ago:

San_Francisco_Night_14036.jpg

2. I shot this one earlier that same evening, from the same location, just after sundown:

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

3. A month before that, in September of 2004, I shot this:

Golden_Gate_Bridge_from_Baker_Beach_5466-2.jpg

4. This one is from several years later, on a return trip in October of 2010:

GG_Bridge_0108.jpg

I really, really :heart: San Francisco.

Thanks for that, Buckster.....I really miss that city. Love #3.

I like #1 and #4 the best ....LOL you worked too hard on #3
Thanks!

Actually though, on #3 I used a ton of filters on the front of the lens to get that effect, so, not as much work as you might think. I actually saw it that way in a dream that woke me up a month before I shot it, complete with a list of what filters to use, and I planned it from that day till I set up on top of some boulders on Baker beach for the shoot. I nearly killed myself and my gear climbing down from them in the dark after the shoot, because I hadn't thought to bring a flashlight with me. Now I keep one in my bag at all times.

Once I had the filters in place in front of the lens, it was just a matter of waiting for the bridge lights to come on, and pulling the trigger, though I did bracket like crazy! :D I did have the mauve filter a little too low though, and you can see it bleeding slightly below the horizon/waterline a bit in the shot. I should've probably fixed that in post, but oh well. Post wasn't really much more than a matter of curves, saturation, size and sharpening.

#1 is the one that I went crazy on in post! :mrgreen:

I think I like 2 & 3 best, the moon looks dropped in on #1.

Do you use colored filters often? I was considering getting a set.

I think I like 2 & 3 best,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to give you thoughts!

the moon looks dropped in on #1.
It was. I just couldn't resist! LOL! ;)

Do you use colored filters often? I was considering getting a set.
I used to use them a lot, as that's the way I did it back in the film days. It took me a while to transition when I switched over to digital, but once I finished my Photoshop classes, I stopped using them in front of the lens to take advantage of the more versatile and accurate digital filters available via software.

Now, the only filters I put in front of my lenses are neutral density and polarizer filters, as needed.

Most reactions

Back